VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I am working on a 2013 VW Jetta that is getting a P0496

Customer Question
engine code. Something about EVAP...
I am working on a 2013 VW Jetta that is getting a P0496 engine code. Something about EVAP system flow is high. What should I check?Thanks,
Derek
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: VW
9/13/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago
kyle swart

Hello my name is ***** ***** than you for using just answer. Which engine do you have? I would first check the purge valve, see if it holds vacuum and pressure with a vac/pressure pump.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. Certified master auto technician
2003-2004, 2013-2015 Certified Volkswagen technician
VW and Audi technician, indpependent, 12 years.

4 cyl 2L, I pulled the hose from the valve and put my finger on it while it was running and I didn't feel any vacuum initially but after a minute the valve started pulsing and I could feel the vacuum. I put the hose back and it continued to pulse for a minute or so and then the valve stopped pulsing while the engine was running. It seems like the valve is working but there could be a small leak that I couldn't detect with my finger.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

The purge valve is the most common and least expensive part that causes faults. If it leaks down at all during a test with a pump and gauge, I would start there. If there is still an issue, we have to go towards the lines and leak detection pump. also, which 2.0 is this? a turbo and non turbo is offered, thanks.

This is the non turbo
Would this be the vent valve or the purge valve?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 8 months ago

purge valve. on or near the motor.

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced