VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2008 VW 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT IN 2ND OR…

Customer Question
2008 VW 5-SPEED MANUAL...

2008 VW 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT IN 2ND OR 4TH GREAR

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

YES

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 VW?

BEETLE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

CHECKS ALL THE CABLES ALL GOOD. REMOVE THE SHIFTER SLEEVE NOT LOOSE AOR ANYTHING

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: VW
9/13/2017
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i need you to take the air cleaner out and inspect the mechanism where the cables hook to the trans . i bet the plastic is either broken or stiff to move .

please if you want to take a pic of that area and post so i can see what you are seeing!!

thanks

Basically the shifter only allows you to pick one of the top gears it then stainstatus locked in that gear I can manually disengage it under the air cleaner, however when I do the vehicle shifter remains loW as if it is in the lower gears but will not catch any of them

i do need a pic please i think something is broken!!

The cables are good on both ends nothing broken.
What about a pic so I can see. It's not the cabling but the shift cams I'm worried about
Where are the shift cams located?
They are attached to the cables whic is mounted to the transmission. The cables can be attached which shows ok but that is why I asked for a pic so I can see
I'm still at work will send you a pic in the morning.
That is just fine.