vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2008 VW 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT IN 2ND OR

Customer Question

2008 VW 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT IN 2ND OR 4TH GREAR
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: YES
JA: What is the model of your '08 VW?
Customer: BEETLE
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: CHECKS ALL THE CABLES ALL GOOD. REMOVE THE SHIFTER SLEEVE NOT LOOSE AOR ANYTHING
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i need you to take the air cleaner out and inspect the mechanism where the cables hook to the trans . i bet the plastic is either broken or stiff to move .

please if you want to take a pic of that area and post so i can see what you are seeing!!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Basically the shifter only allows you to pick one of the top gears it then stainstatus locked in that gear I can manually disengage it under the air cleaner, however when I do the vehicle shifter remains loW as if it is in the lower gears but will not catch any of them
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

i do need a pic please i think something is broken!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cables are good on both ends nothing broken.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.
What about a pic so I can see. It's not the cabling but the shift cams I'm worried about
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where are the shift cams located?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.
They are attached to the cables whic is mounted to the transmission. The cables can be attached which shows ok but that is why I asked for a pic so I can see
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still at work will send you a pic in the morning.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.
That is just fine.