VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

1959 VW. fuel pump. I have rebuilt the the pump. It will…

Customer Question
1959 VW. fuel pump...

1959 VW. fuel pump. I have rebuilt the the pump. It will pump fuel off the car and operated by hand. While on the engine it will not pump fuel when cranked. The push rod moves about 1/2 inch while cranking with fuel pump removed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Fuel is from a clean can next to the car. Spark plugs are new and correctly gaped

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '59 VW?

Beadle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've tried every thing I can think of. It ran for 20 min, then quit. There is no fuel to the carb.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car is stock. New 30 carb

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
VW Mechanic: Martin, auto electrical replied 9 months ago
Martin, auto electrical

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

It is very hard to say why the pump is not pumping on the engine. The first thing that comes to mind is that the pushrod is not operating the diaphragm. As you say it is pushing out a 1/2 inch when turning the engine. It should work fine with the pushrod moving that distance. Perhaps it is sucking air. Or some dirt in the fuel are now causing one of the valves not to close. As you state that it was pumping fuel for 20 minutes.

It is all I can think of other than fuel leaks and or dirt in the valves there cannot realy be a fault.

Greetings,

Martin.

When you disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb, is there fuel pressure?

Martin.