vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have high intensity headlights on my 05 beetle and have

Customer Question

i have high intensity headlights on my 05 beetle and have brought it in to the dealer several times after buying the car new. Headlights will go out and if i turn off the switch and partially apply the e brake to switch off the lights it will come on again. I would like to know if it is possible to change out the troublesome high intensity lights for conventional headlights
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes. also if it were either a fuse or a bulb it would not come back on after turning it off and on. also a fuse would affect both lamps not just one side. the dealer said that it was probably a symptom of the high intensity light and that to replace them was very expensive. therefor because i am giving the car to my grand daughter i want to try to replace the lights with normal lights that are less bright but more trouble free
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have basic mech skills and work on our heavy equipment at our excavation co. and would like to do the work myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the dealer replaced lights on 2 occasions over the years and the problem did not go away. it happens usually on one side but sometimes both sides. I have learned how to get them back on while driving but it is dangerous and not something that i want my grand daughter to deal with.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need some more information at any time were the ballasts ever changed?

also i do need a vin # of the vehicle to assist

thanks