VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Well i just bought a used 2006 vw jetta 2.5 it began kicking…

Customer Question
Well i just bought...

Well i just bought a used 2006 vw jetta 2.5 it began kicking on me a few weeks ago and I was told my transmission fluid was low

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

It was changed yesterday with and oil change as well it was driving great and the car doesnt start kicking until its a little less that half a tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i took it to a mechanic i changed the oil and the tranmission fluid was changed yesterday today it started kicking again and when my husband was driving he said that the car started to act like it was in neutral so he had to stop the car and put it back into drive it never did that before

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It needs a new sensor as well is this the transmission problem or a sensor problem thats all i wanted to ask

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: VW
9/9/2017
VW Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The symptom that you are having is a sign that one of your shift solenoids are faulty or the valve body is failing. Have you noticed a checked engine light on in the vehicle?

I have

I understanding. Since you have already had the fluids serviced, then the next step is to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes. The code(s) that is received will direct you or the technician to the problematic area. Once the code is retrieved, then testing and diagnosis can begin. This issue is usually caused by a failing shift solenoid or valve body and will require replacement to cure. If the issue is the valve body itself, then I usually recommend replacing/rebuilding the transmission.

Lol I will just sell the car I dont need this headache that's more than what I paid for for the car. How long do you think I have left till it dies.

Once you have the vehicle scanned and get the code(s), if you require information on the code(s) received, then you can always message me back here, and I will be able to supply information and advice on the code.

ok

The is no telling how long it will last like this. You may can ride it for a year this way or it may stop shifting next week.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.