VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Second opinion] Replaced my cam sensor and now the car

Second opinion] Replaced my...

Second opinion] Replaced my cam sensor and now the car doesn't want to run, very rough idle. Acts like it is out if time but we have checked that time and again and it all looks good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

99 gl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just replaced the sensor then began troubleshooting when it wouldn't run

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also replaced plugs

9/9/2017
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

What was the reason for replacing the cam sensor? Did you scan it for faults, and if so what faults do you have? Do the same faults return?

Cranked but wouldn't fire, did a lot of trouble shooting and got the code for the sensor. Now it fires but doesn't run well. Now I have 2, 3 and random misfire codes.
Don't recall if it had the misfire codes initially
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # to see which gl you have mk3 or mk4 style. second what was the code stored ? i need the Pxxxx # please

thanks

3VWCC21C4XM426142, p0300, p0302 and p0303
Ok the cam sensor that you replaced was under the cam timing belt gear correct? Did you have a code for that before replacement? Thanks
Correct, I don't recall the specific code but it was for the sensor
Did you pull the wires and plugs of 2 and 3 to see if the plugs are wet or black soot?
Put all new plugs in, have spark at all 4
Ok if you have spark. Compression test? All 4 cylinders needed to test.
Have not yet checked compression. Would that suddenly be a problem after replacing the sensor?
If you got the timing out and bent valves
All timing marks are dead on, crank pulley, cam sprocket, flywheel and verified #1 at TDC
To set crank tdi is at trans side. I do not rely on the balancer side due to balancer can slip due to the rubber insulator beteween the 2 pieces.
Tdc
Yep, I have looked over the timing repeatedly and it is all spot on.
If that is the case then I need to know what you have taken apart to do the sensor then after when the misfire came about. I did not take it apart so I depend on u giving this info to see what I remotely can cause this issue you have now
For the sensor I pulled the timing belt and cam sprocket and reinstalled everything. At that point the car would start again with the misfire. Replaced plugs, then just troubleshooting other sensors and stuff. Haven't really taken anything else off.
I was not driving it when it died so I am not sure if there were any other symptoms when it happened.

have you tried again to see if it will start and run and iff misfiring go to the floor for 5-7 seconds and see if it clears out. let me know!!

thanks

No luck, could it be the coil being it's a 2 and 3 misfire? Ohms checked out good based off What I found online for it.
Wait a sec you said you have spark on 2 and 3. I want to help but are you saying you did not check spark on 2 and 3?
Originally I checked #1 and that was good. I checked again today and the spark on 3 looked stronger than 4 which I found strange being 2 and 3 seem to have the issues. There are several cracks in the coil bit I don't see it arcing at all.
I did not check 2 and 3 originally based on what i was seeing, new to this type of coil so i didn't realize how it worked. Had the misfire on 1 also and the plug fixed it so I replaced them all and them 2 and 3 became the regular code.
Being 2 & 3 are harder to get to you may have damaged the wires and may have spiked the coil. May want to check if you have spark on the 2 cyls in question
I replaced the coil, it was in bad shape with several cracks and weak spark. It idles better but still wants to die when totally off the gas. Definitely made a difference though.
Did you scan to see if there are any new codes stored ?
Same codes as before, p0300, p0302 and p0303
If I give it even the slightest amount of throttle it really smooths out, still misfiring but not like before the coil was replaced.

any vacuum leaks that you see check the brake booster line common to crack

I will check that. I also tore the line last night for the secondary air pump, the line that feeds it from the intake. I'd assume that would create quite the vacuum leak as well being there is nothing in place anymore to keep that air from going back into the intake. Basically bypassing everything prior to the throttle body is it not?

that goes to the combi injection valve which will not have any affect in vacuum

I have new plugs and a coil in, hadn't done wires yet, was gonna order them online being they are cheaper. Anyway after work I decided to check the spark again and #4 is pretty weak. I moved that wire to #1 which has always been strong and the same plug and wire that are weak on 4 look good on 1. What would cause that?
ICM go to hell on me?
Do you have an adjustable spark tester?
A cheap one yes, tells me the same story pretty much

there is no control module its the ecu controls the coil.

When did that change? This was built in late 98. My under standing was it changed in 99

you have an aeg engine and this is newer style !!

Could it be an ecu issue and how do i check that

check the wiring from the coil to the ecu to make sure the resistance of the wires are less than 1 ohm .

I'll do that tomorrow, it's strange, earlier 4 looked really weak, later on 4 looked good and 1 looked a little weak. Absolutely stumped.

get the wires and then recheck . i think you are going way too deep and its driving you nuts!!

It is driving me nuts! Appreciate the help!

my pleasure!!

No compression in 2 and 3, 1 and 4 are 150
She's toast
I'm sorry to hear that.Anything else.If not please rate my help to you as 5 stars for my assistance. Thanks and my pleasure.Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician