vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

A 2002 Jetta. It starts up and then dies with all lights on

Customer Question

a 2002 Jetta. It starts up and then dies with all lights on the dash coming on.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No I have not. A few weeks ago I had an issue with it starting and then stuttering and noise near the muffler. I limped to a gas station (could not go much over 40 mph and filled the tank (it was low at just over an 8th of a tank) to see if I could get closer to home (I was 200 miles up in northern Michigan). After filling the tank it ran perfectly and has since until yesterday morning when I could not get it to stay running. I had filled the tank the night before. Last night I tried to start it again and it started up jut fine three times but I have not driven it.
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am taking it to my mechanic o0n Monday..either driving it or towing it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had the engine checked and there is some slight mis firing going on but nothing majoring it has been running like a new car between the first incident a few weeks ago and yesterday's issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Is there a check engine light on now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why is your experience showing as owner of Baltic Investments?

thats my company I have now that I use for tax purposes for this job, if your not comfortable with me you can opt out for another technician, but they dont let just anyone work here, extensive background checks and verification of qualifications.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not interested in any further communication and your response regarding use for tax purposes is intriguing considering my background which you do not know about.

sounds good, have a good day, hope you get your problem fixed

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

When the car was acting up was the yellow check engine light on the dash flashing?

i do need a vin # to get the factory information to assist!!

Thanks