VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I am going to change the timing belt on my 1997 passat tdi.

Customer Question
I would like the procedure...
I am going to change the timing belt on my 1997 passat tdi. I would like the procedure for this task including illustrations of the timing marks. I have the tools already as well as all the parts. Also I believe I am supposed to check pump timing with the vag-com software. If this is true could you include those instructions as well.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: VW
9/9/2017
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 9 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

Here is a link that will help you on the replacement

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/timing-belt-replacement-mk3-vw-jetta-vw-passat-tdi-removal/

Here is a couple videos that i have suggested that more detailed then a repair manual that i give my customers to follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-tA-fSQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy5ugRg927U

Regarding the injection pump timing as long as you dont move the center adjustment nut on the pump you will not need to adjust the injection pump timing just remember not to loose that nut . I hope this helps . Please dont forget to provide feedback/star rating for the help provided thank you

I've already found that. Was looking for something along the line of the Bentley instructions

We only have that in a older paper service manual since its a older model vehicle these are the only files i have electronic that i can upload our online repair manual from vw only starts at 99 not the older ones where phased out years ago . Heres another link i have saved to help my customers . I hope this helps please dont forget the feedback thank you

http://www.barcodequality.com/vw/vw_a3_timing_belt.html