VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2010 cc battery keeps dying after a day or so in the garage.

Customer Question
2010 cc battery keeps...

2010 cc battery keeps dying after a day or so in the garage. Car is locked in garage. Alternator is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

86K. Just started recently. today was second time. replaced battery today. 30min later battery went from 12.7 to 12.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CC yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check battery. checked alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: VW
9/7/2017
VW Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello! My name is***** am very excited to be asssisting you today. Ok so the alternator has been replaced with a new OE & the issue still remains correct? Are you good with a volt meter? It will require some testing. If not, I can only give you a good procedure and the possibilities.

The alarm does not chirp as it arms and disarms. Is that a clue?

There is so many possibilities, but chirp on alarm does not seem to be one, maybe if it was draining the battery, but not when its not charging the battery

Do you have a test light as well?

We can check if the fuse is bad, that would be the first step. You think you can do that?

after that, it will be required to go through a procedure and will require test light/ volt meter. It can be difficult to try to diagnose if your new to this, but this procedure on the right hands will definitely find your problem

1. When testing for a parasitic drain on a vehicle, an ammeter placed in series with the vehicle battery cable and battery should be used. Amperage draw is the only accurate method of determining acceptable parasitic load on the electrical system.

2. Place a shunt in series with the battery and battery cable (Note: It is advisable that battery power is never disconnected from the vehicle. The use of a jumper battery to keep the vehicle electrical system energized will eliminate problems with radio recoding, antitheft recoding and idle and transmission relearn issues). Place the ammeter in parallel with the shunt.

3. The shunt is used to carry the full electrical load of the vehicle until parasitic draw testing is started.

4. Start the vehicle and turn on and then off every electrical device and load on the vehicle.

5. Shut the vehicle off, close and lock the doors and close all windows and sunroof if equipped and then open the shunt on the battery. (Note: Be sure to disable any hood position or alarm switches on the hood if the hood is to be left open during testing). It is also a good habit to close the driver's door latch but keep the door open so that the fuse box is accessible without the car seeing the door open.

6. Leave the vehicle undisturbed for a minimum of 30 minutes. This allows all onboard computers and processors to enter "sleep mode". After 30 minutes the vehicle should be at its minimum parasitic load.

7. Observe the parasitic load as indicated on the ammeter. 50 milliamps or less is the permitted parasitic load on the electrical system.

8. Should the load exceed 50 milliamps, begin pulling fuses from the fuse box one at a time until the draw drops below 50. Once it is determined which circuit the draw is on, then use available wiring diagrams to locate the faulty component.

drain tsb