vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2006 jetta 1.9tdi 1K I have a problem with the steering

2006 jetta 1.9tdi 1K I have a problem with the steering column controls, they don't work at all or intermittently. The steering control module got unplugged while the battery was still connected. I did get the power steering to work again with vag-com. I think the module needs to be reflashed, any ideas?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: It is electric not hydraulic the power steering works just column controls don't.
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am fixing it myself I have used vag-com to reset steering end points but no information on the controls
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem is most likely in the steering control module as it works with the column controls

I can help you out can you tell me why the steering module was unplugged while the battery was disconnected ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am doing repairs on the car it belongs to someone else. The Controls stopped working for some unknown reason,so the owner tried using a different module from another car but forgot to disconnect the battery
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The module from the other car was working fine, but since the battery was still connected it turned out with the same problem so we took the car that we used the part from to a vw dealer and they reflashed the module and it works, now I need to get the other one working as well

Does the horn work ?? and is the airbag light on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The horn does not work and the airbag light is off

Ok what faults do you in the system since you gave a vag com

attach a log for me

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me first get a vag-com reading

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The file you requested.
Ok have they coded this steering wheel module yet because you have a fault for it being incorrectly coded ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This one has not been coded by the dealer I have tried coding it with vag-com and according to the code helper it should be correct
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It might need to be reflashed with software, I am not sure if I can do it with vag-com
Its coded incorrectly the dealer needs to online code it trough the vw server and if the module is still good then it will work correctly even if you get a new one for all the features to work you have to get it coded correctly per vin # I hope this helps please don't forget to provide feedback/rating thank you