VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Yellow engine light just came on, checked the fuel cap to…

Yellow engine light just...

Yellow engine light just came on, checked the fuel cap to ensure that was on right (it was)...so according to manual the engine control/monitoring system is malfunctioning...can I still drive it without damaging the vehicle until I can get into the shop?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2013 Passat TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Probably fix myself since warranty ran out

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just had VW change oil/filter and add blue is due in 1300 miles

8/20/2017
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin the warning can cone on for many different reasons .in most cases if the problem is serious the engine control system will limit power output from engine .so if this isnt the case you will be fine to drive .you will need to get car plugged into a diagnostic machine and faults retrieved from system

No power output issues...can I just go to Advanced Auto or similar place to have them retrieve the faults?

Correct they will be abe to read faults and advise best route to repair

Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Awesome, Thanks Kevin