VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Whining when steering, leaking power steering fluid. Leak on…

Whining when steering, leaking...

Whining when steering, leaking power steering fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?

Leak on ground, and checked the reservoir.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

87westy vanagon

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Vanagon?

87

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Vanagon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing but trying to drive it to see how it runs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. We have had chronic alternator issues this whole two week trip.

8/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

It needs to be inspected to isolate the leak. most of the time it's the high pressure hose, but can also be the P/S pump or rack. They will put a dye in the system to see exactly where the leak is coming from. the whining noise is from the pump being too low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
We are in cody Wyoming lots of high mountainous terrain to travel. My husband wants to know if it ok to drive.
Phone call session started

Thanks again for the call and let me know if you need more help.