Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Mk4 2003 year golf vr6 4 motion, no fuel no spark, replaced

Mk4 2003 year golf vr6 4 motion, no fuel no spark, replaced crank sensor, fuel relay as precaution. Fuel at the rail, but plugs are dry, just checked injector fuse no volts at fuse.....any thoughts
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: Don't think it's the fuel pressure, injectors are not working but fuel is available at the fuel rail
JA: What is the model of your '03 VW?
Customer: Vr6 , 4 motion, 2.8 petrol all wheel drive
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Crank sensor, fuel and ecu relay, new plugs.....I have not long replaced timing chain and clutch but vehicle started first time after that work, but has been sitting idle since then, couple of months off road...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure, tried all the obvious stuff, it's an electrical issue of some nature....

Hi, my name is ***** ***** this the fuse 29 in the fuse box?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuse 32

ok, this fuse is powered from the ignition switch, you need to check the black wire coming out of the ignition switch for power with the key on, if it does not have power, then the ignition switch is bad, do all the dash lights come on, when the key is on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you can send through any suggestions, I have replaced following with genuine VW parts, crank sensor, I can observe rev counter cranking 200 rpm when turning over, fuel relay, ecu relay and ignition switch. When checking with vagcom scanner I have no error codes shown. New plugs are bone dry, but pump is pushing fuel to rail which I checked by removing the fuel line. Car has been sitting, I replaced timing chain and clutch it started first time, checked compression is about 140 (cold) in all cylinders so given it had started previously and engine is interference fit I don't believe timing is off or has moved since the rebuild.

Have you checked the black wire coming out of the ignition switch?? this is what powers the injector fuse??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All the dash lights come on....replaced ignition switch with VW OEM unit.

ok, so you have power to the ignition switch,m we need to see if it has power going out on the black wire to the fuse? can you check this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will need to check, are any other fuses powered by this black wire or just the injectors?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to email you back once I have checked, may take a while

I will be on all day,Tim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just checked the black wire, 12 volts when ignition is on, checked between black wire and ground on body. I checked continuity of the black wire to the fuse terminal, it reads 19 ohms....?

do you have power on that wire at the fuse box end?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Appears to be no power at fuse end, continuity it buzzes out but no voltage?

then that wire is shorted somewhere between the ignition switch and the fuse fuse box, you will need to find the short, or run a new wire between the switch and he fuse box,Tim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Interesting, is that a typical failure mode.....all the wiring looks original an as it came out the factory....any ideas what might have caused this....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I right in suggesting that this fuse feeds the fuel relay?......and therefore the injectors or does this fuse only feed the injector circuit?

No, it feeds the power to the injectors, the fuel relay is on a seperate circuit,Tim

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** for another day, access not good for fuse panel where car is at the moment, will need to move it around before I can get to this easily, thanks for your help with this one, hopefully this should get me going. Thanks

Any time my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,thanks,Tim