VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Just replaced rear main seal. Remounted tranny and can't get

Customer Question
Just replaced rear main seal...
Just replaced rear main seal. Remounted tranny and can't get shift tower back in????
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2004 jetta tdi
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Trying lol. tab on shift tower facing front of vehicle, tab on cup facing passenger side. Doesn't want to drop all the way in.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking? Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
8/6/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Did you remove the counter weighted shift lever assembly off the top of the trans, or did you remove the whole shaft that goes inside the transmission? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

The whole shaft
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

Ok. You should be able to visually make sure the shift forks are inline thru the hole, and be able to move them with a screwdriver if they are not. If i remember correctly, there will be some spring tension on the hole cover once fully inserted, but the hole cover that also holds the shaft should push down and sit flat on the case of the trans. When it is assembled, the shaft (when in neutral) should push down, but pop back up when you release it.

I am having issues getting the fourth shift fork to move over. I put it in and push down the spring tension and I'm still about a half an inch high from being able to put the bolts in.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

It sounds as if the shaft is not aligning and dropping into the bushing on the bottom. You may have to drain the transmission to get a better look at everything. I cant remember if the lower bushing is open or closed, but if it is closed, you may be fighting a hydraulic affect ( the bushing filled with fluid after you removed the shaft). Typically, you do not have to remove that shaft to remove the trans, just the upper part. I have,however, removed them to reseal the top cap, and had some difficulty re-installing the shaft. After some wiggling I was able to get them to drop down.

OK. Is there any reason that the forks would not move over?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

Unless the trans was in gear when the shaft was removed, everything should line back up when it is re inserted.

Yeah. I've been working on this a little at a time so I'm almost positive it was in neutral but what do I do if it was in gear?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 3 months ago

Ive never had to tackle that situation. The shift forks should move smoothly, as long as there is no load on the trans. You may need to use a prybar to center it, but they should not fall to one side or the other.

ok ill give it another shot.
vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced