VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Trunk is not opening with the button. It is a convertible so…

Customer Question
Trunk is not opening...

Trunk is not opening with the button. It is a convertible so the back seat does not come open from inside the car only inside the trunk.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

I just purchased the car and the locking mechanism was broken. someone has broken the top corner of the cover containing the lock button. I can see a rod going to the middle of the trunk lid however pulling or pushing does not release the trunk catch

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

1995

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything re the top works only the trunk is an issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to understand how to release the lock to the trunk hatch from outside. once in the trunk I can repair or replace mechanism.
Answered in 1 day by:
8/5/2017
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

does it have a "pass through" in the center of the rear seat?

have you tried cycling the lock cylinder on the trunk a few times to release it, or do you have a release button inside the center console inside the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is a centre that opens in the centre of the seat. However it does not open, I assume there is a lock from the trunk side. This is a convertible and has no release button on the centre console inside the car.
someone has broken the corner of the rear cover plate that contains the licence plate and the push button for the lock. The button pushes in and the key turns the cylinder, I can feel the mechanise for the button and the key. The rod that goes to the centre of the trunk from the button can be moved by reaching in but does not release the trunk catch. Now my worry is the trunk catch may be ceased.
Ok about the centre of the rear seat is there a release somehow in the care that lets me open it?

YOU MAY NEED TO REMOVE THE LOWER SEAT CUSHION, ACCESS THE SCREWS THERE, AND REMOVE THE SEAT BACK CUSHION. THIS WON'T ALLOW YOU TO CRAWL THROUGH ANYWHERE, BUT WILL GIVE ACCESS HOLES TO USE A WIRE HOOK TO ACCESS THE LATCH RELEASE, THERE IS A SMALL TAB ON THE SIDE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO RELEASE THE LATCH.