vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

It is my niece's car. she keeps having to replace the

Customer Question

hi, my name is ***** ***** it is my niece's car. she keeps having to replace the headlights. She just put a brand new one in last week and the low beam doesn't work. The highbeam does. I had looked online and found that it may be a fuse.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I took the bulb out of the housing and it appears fine. I am not sure which fuse it could be and her manual doesn't have a schematic.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2011 vw jetta 4 dr
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to. It just has to work for 1 more month. so far the entire headlight has been replaced twice in 3 months. Took it to 2 different dealerships, 1 was a VW dealership and they couldn't find the problem. Yesterday when I removed the highbeam buld fro the housing (it wasn't working either) I found it 'hanging out, so I put it back securely and that seems to be working now. The low beam seemed to be in tight when I removed it. I tried the lights on with the low beam bulb out of the housing but it doesn't seem to be getting any juice
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of just need it fixed
Category: VW
Expert:  kyle swart replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Please check fuse 16 in the engine compartment fuse block. Should be a green 30 amp, and should be near the top (toward the windshield) center of the fuse block. There was an recall for the fuse block on some of the cars, not sure if it applies to yours. dealerships typically ask you if you want any available updates performed when your car is there. thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there are only 2 green 30 amp fuses and they are toward the front of the car. I have attached 2 pictures not sure which one is better. The "bolts" are toward the front of the car and the red square 50 amp fuse is toward the windshield. Can you tell me which one?

Im sorry, the fuse box in question is from the newer body style, not yours. If you supply me with the vin number and production date from the sticker in the drivers door sill, i will get you the fuse layout for your vehicle, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hopefully this is readable

Your car does not have specific fuses for the lighting system. It uses an electrical system control module. ( i think its dumb, but it is what it is). A scan tool capable of talking to all modules in the car ( the car has several computers) would be very helpful. But, you can check fuse 19 and 20 in the fuse block you showed me, as well as fuse 28 and 29.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I know which are the 19/20 and 28/29 fuses? I think the 2 dealerships used the scan tool but said nothing is wrong.

Here is a layout. Also, which bulbs are currently not working on the vehicle? thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was the passenger side low beam. I replaced the bulb today and it seems to be working for now but not sure how long