Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Key will not go into the ignition of 2009 Passat wagon.

Customer Question

Key will not go into the ignition of 2009 Passat wagon. Steering wheel is locked. Tried my alternate key but it doesn't go in either. Been reading the manual and cannot find the solution there.
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: Tried that and it doesn't seem to work. Steering wheel column moves about an inch in either direction. Key doesn't go in
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: That is all I have tried so far. VW dealer closed today.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi im kevin can you confirm the key type you have ? Is it the cartridge type key or do you have a normal metal key ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
cartridge
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok do lights turn on ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will go check lights in car
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

I dont offer phone service im happy to continue online

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok- I'm at the computer screen and my husband is in the car with his phone if I need to call him. He reports the lights work
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok and radio ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
radio works
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok so will the key actually push in at all or does it go in with no response from car ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
key goes in a little less than half way and then something stops it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no response from car
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok first disconnect battery for 20 mins and retry .its likely the cartridge has failed

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
battery reconnected and it doesn't worked. We also tried alternate cartridge key and that did not work either. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out see if another tech has any ideas its likely that the cartridge that key goes into has failed

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need some more information

• i do need the vin # of the vehicle to see a certain repair was done under warranty
  • when the key is inserted in the car to start any message on the center screen on the dash is shown?
  • when you open the doors do the interior lights come on ?

thanks

Wolfgang

Master VW dealer tech