VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

The car starts but quits as though the key has been

Customer Question
The car starts but...

The car starts but quits as though the key has been deactivated

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

2005 volkswagon gti

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Called a shop, but they didn't have answers, closest one is an hour and half away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New engine about three months ago ran fine and then it did this.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: VW
7/29/2017
VW Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 9 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. does it hesitates or bogs down before it stalls , does the engine light stays on when running , how long before it stalls. is it more when cold or hot, does it start right back when it stalls?

can you tell me the engine size.

It was a 1.8T engine. It starts fully and then just quits. It's about 1 second before it stalls out. I think it may be something with the immobilizer, does that sound right?

yes it sounds like it but do you see the security light on?

No it is not

then that's not the problem, this problem can be fuel pressure problem but we can check on that easily if you have a can of choke cleaner or starting fuel around.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected and it seemed to have fixed the problem

very good then this seems to have been a memory lost by the computer and disconnecting the battery reset the memory very well happy you got it fix. If you need further assistance don't hesitate to look me up.

It turned over but wouldn't start. Disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it started.
VW Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 months ago

Hi just checking if your car is still doing OK after the battery disconnect procedure?

No, having to disconnect every time. Then engine is a 1.8, the car has a turbo.

ok if you have to disconnect the battery and reconnect to start the engine then there most be a problem with a relay . what you need to do is before you disconnect the battery check for spark out of the spark plug wires and let me know if it has.

There is spark at the beginning and then we think something trips and turns the spark off

Perform a vehicle cold re-boot to attempt to restore immobilizer functionality. To do this, disconnect both battery cables and put a jumper wire between the two. Leave the wires connected for 15 minutes and then reattach the cables to the battery. Attempt to start the vehicle. (Note: basic settings and radio lock out will be erased during this procedure and need to be re-adapted for proper vehicle operation.) If that did not work then try an alternative method this to leave the key in the ignition with the key ON engine OFF for 60 minutes. Attempt to start the vehicle. (Note: it is imperative to place a battery charger or battery maintainer on the battery during this procedure to prevent the battery voltage from going low. In addition, apply the parking brake to disable the daytime running lights

We did both the tests and same results, if it helps the airbag, ABS, and traction control lights are on and blinking and sometimes with a three burst beep. It still turns on for a second and then dies. Where are the relays that you mentioned?

Hi sorry for the delay. i was thinking of the fuel pump relay but when you mention spark lost after start then we can leave out the fuel pump relay. i think we are going to need a scanner and look for codes especially with the abs and traction control been involved there must be a code stored on one of the computers this is going to help a lot.

you can also try checking "Crank position sensor" The Engine Speed Sensor (ESS) produces AC voltage when the engine is turning (either cranking or running).
To test for correct operation, measure the AC output voltage of the sensor, between the White and Yellow wires on the sensor side with the engine cranking. 800 millivolts AC voltage minimum must be present at crank speed (preferred voltage is 1.5 to 2.5 volts AC).
The sensor is located in the engine block, left side, just ahead of the transmission, near the oil filter housing do the test and let me know if you also lose the signal here.

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced