kyle swart
kyle swart,
Experience:  Certified Technician at Redding Volkswagen
88077728

2014 passat TDI cant get oil filter back into receptcle, 6

Customer Question

2014 passat TDI cant get oil filter back into receptcle
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 6 months
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the angles to get it back in are seemingly impossible. Getting it out was also a challenge
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: VW
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. this is a cartridge filter that installs into the housing from the top of the engine correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

ok, please standby

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was dificult to get out because of the angles adn impossible to get back in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIr01h0K6VM

does that help you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
NO it does not, I've seen the video...I need help with angles from someone who has change many of these filters and has probably struggles to make it work...have you ever changed an oil filter on a 2014 passat TDI?

many of them, so please, i have no idea why you are having difficulties. its an easy job.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ive changed out the gaskets put the filter on the only way it goes on and when I am sliding it into the cup it only goes down about 1/3 of the way...it feels like maybe the stem that sticks down is hitting something...never had any problems? Because it was dificult to get out because of the angles even after you remove the wire harness support screws

you just work it around til it slips in. Theres no trick. I will open this up to see if anyone would like to help you.

Expert:  kyle swart replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. I'm sorry your having difficulty with the filter. I despise that design. You would think that they wouldn't bury something that gets changed so frequently. Did you replace the small and large o-ring? Check to see that the upper o-ring Is seated proper in the groove and is not damaged.. I have also had these damage the new o-ring and cause a leak even when they would fully seat. I've noticed then when you first get it past the egr pipe and harness, you wiggle it around until it drops in effortlessly, this is the stem finding the hole. I then rotate it backward slowly while applying slight pressure, until i feel the end of the threads from the plastic housing drop down a little, then i start tightening up. There should be very little resistance until you hit the o-ring. I watch the o-ring as i turn it down, to make sure it isnt damaged and stays seated, hope this helps, thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
replaced all the o-rings, I dont think Im even getting close to the upper large o-ring. It was so difficult to get the cap through the space allowed. had to pull and twist a lot to free it. Same when putting it back in. And thats just to get it near the cannister it goes in.