VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Won't start, I've narrowed the problem down but now I'm

Customer Question
Won't start, I've...

Won't start, I've narrowed the problem down but now I'm stuck

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, fuel pump won't come on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your VW?

03 beetle covt, 2.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?

So 8 months ago it stalled, the next morning it started but had to limp home about 10mph. spent the next 8 months at a independent VW specialist, he couldn't figure it out, so i brought it home and tried to figure it out myself. noticed the fuel pump walnut prime. straight wired the fuel pump to the battery and bam, it started right up. without hot wire to pump it will turn over but not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm focusing on the antitheft door lock in the door panel. have questions about that

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
7/29/2017
VW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, I am assuming that fuse 28 and fuse 163 has been checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are fine. the antitheft key lock in the drivers door panel was pulled into two pieces. my question is, if I replace it this lock with one from a salvage yard, will I have problems with coding the key or the ECU not recognizing it and shutting everything down?

you can replace it but will need to have it reprogrammed.

do you mean the door lock cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the back of the housing was pulled off somehow, exposing a tiny circuit board and a couple wires look like they are pulled out. would this cause the fuel pump not to prime?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not the cylinder that unlocks the door, its a key slot in the bottom left hand side of drivers door.

it all depends. when you are cranking the engine is the theft light going out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hmmm not sure about that. its 4 miles away from me, Ill check in the morning

ok, thats very important to know with the train of thought you are getting at

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i used this service before and was quite helpful trouble shooting my BMW. so i don't mind paying for qualified advice. will you be available tomorrow? its late and i have to work tomorrow.

all day my friend

hows it going?