VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2001 jetta had my oil changed today and it was fine. about…

Customer Question
2001 jetta had my oil...
2001 jetta had my oil changed today and it was fine. about an hour later I started the car to leave home and the brake light for the hand brake would not go off and the ecp light on the console came on. runs fine but very annoying beep from brake light being on. what can I do to fix it?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: VW
7/29/2017
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago
kyle swart

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Have you checked the brake fluid level? also, do the brake lights operate? thank you.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Brake lights work and fluids were checked at rapid lube when I had my oil changed today- brake fluid is below max and above minimum.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

Ok. There is only a few things that would cause it to beep, a low fluid level, an issue with the level sensor, the ebrake staying on ( or the switch for the ebrake malfunctioning). If they did top off your brake fluid, the float for the sensor may have hung up. I would double check it ( wear gloves, brake fluid is nasty!) As far as the epc light, you will need some scan equipment to check that. Has there been any abs light? thanks.

No abs light, checked and topped off brake fluid an tapped (gently) with hammer to dislodge any stuck parts. ecp light came on about same time brake light would not go off. code from auto zone says O2 sensor codes p0135 and p0420 but car runs o.k.. where is ebrake sensor?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

The e-brake switch for the light is underneath the center console, on the mechanical part of the e-brake assembly. Before you go tearing the console out, do me a favor. Start the vehicle, and check to see that your daytime running lights are working with the headlamp switch turned off. If you then apply the e-brake, and the switch is working, the headlamps will go out. That will confirm if your having an issue with the switch.

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

You need a scan tool capable of reading fault codes from the abs module, preferably all the modules in the car, if you want any insight on the epc lamp. ( i.e. ross tech)

VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

It is very odd that you have an epc lamp with no fault codes related in the ecm. The epc lamp stands for electronic power control, and relates to the drive by wire system and all things that can effect it ( brake light switch, abs, throttle body, gas pedal). Another thing you could try is a capacitive discharge, disconnect bolth battery terminals and touch them together for about 30 seconds, then reattach them. After that, turn they key on and leave it on for about 30 seconds, which should recalibrate your throttle body.

Started car in neutral with no brake on, headlights come on (don't see running lights) pull brake on, headlights stay on --no change.
Removed console don't see any handbrake sensor or switches. Where is handbrake sensor switch located and is it 2 prong or 4?
Ok Located it uner the brake lever driver side. depressed it completely with car running and light and epc stayed on. 2 prong so I will probably have to order it in to parts store, can I jumper it temporarily to stop the damned beeping?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

Yes you can jump it. However, Even if it is faulty, It should not be related to the epc lamp. Only the brake lamp. Just to verify, you had the headlamp switch in the off position during the check? thanks.

Jumped it and it made no difference, still beeped. Yes the headlight switch was in off position. Didn't see any running lights just headlights, and they just stayed on when I applied the parking brake.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

Our last hope is the capacitive discharge, unless you gain access to a scanner that can talk to all the modules in the car.

Going to try cap. Discharge this am. Will let you know results.
Did cap discharge ecp light went out but came back on in short order. hard to find parking brake switch. vw wants 27 bucks plus tax parts geek is 5,80 but out of stock may have to buy used on ebay. once I can replace the switch Ill redo the cap discharge and see what happens.
Hi Kyle
I got a the used switch from ebay as everybody else was out of stock and replaced it today. did the cap discharge and the check engine light and ecp went out (but will probably come back) but the brake light stayed in and driving it up to the corner and back still beeps. does the wire for the brake light come out under the hood somewhere or is there a fuse I should check?
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

I would jump the connector at the brake fluid resevoir for the level sensor (with a paper clip), and see if the light goes out.

Hi Kyle did as you suggested and the brake light blinks on and off, beeper still goes off and epc light is still on.
VW Mechanic: kyle swart,
 replied 11 months ago

Ok. I have done all I can without a capable scan tool, I am going to opt out and let others assist you.

Thanks Kyle. I appreciate your help. Who might have a scan tools?