VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I replaced the oil pressure sensor in my 2007 vw passat

Customer Question
wolfsburg with 2.0fsi engine with...
I replaced the oil pressure sensor in my 2007 vw passat wolfsburg with 2.0fsi engine with turbo. I had to move radiator hoses and wiring harness to reach it. I put all back together and now have steering and esc warning lights on. It isn't running well and dies, then when it is shut off the fans come on for a long while (it's not hot). What am I missing?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: when I disconnected the coolant I lost a bit of it, so I got more and added it. there is no leaking. Is the coolant pressurized?
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm doing it myself. I've checked the connections and they are all good. There is nothing that is not connected, but that is the first thing I checked.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's about it.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: VW
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm waiting, how long?
7/27/2017
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 3 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Disconnect all connectors you had disconnected previously and check the pins inside the connectors and see if any are bent at all.I have seen in several cases before in the past where the pins can bend inside the connectors and causes this issue when they are reconnected.Double check you did not bump anything else loose like any other connections and that nothing was damaged.

If this is checked and found o.k. it is possible the engine computer had shorted out and failed internally.I have seen this occur before in some cases with a surge when a connector is disconnected and reconnected.The computer when faulty can command the fans on like you see here.

You would need to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set in all computers then from there the codes can be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.

One of these will usually be the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

The battery was disconnected when I did the disconnecting, so it is unlikely there was a surge.

Is there any way you can get the fault codes read out and post the code info here?

I took the vehicle off the jackstands to drive to an auto parts store to have the codes check. While backing out of the driveway, the warning lights went off, the car was running fine and when I shut it off, the fan stopped running. All is back to normal. I'm surprised you didn't think of that.

I apologize as I wasnt aware it had not been driven yet.I assumed it was driven

Yes the system has to reset itself when repairs are done especially when the battery is disconnected.This sets off low voltage alarm warnings and can cause these issues.Once the computer sees the vehicle move it will reset any faults it thinks it sees and can go back to running properly again.

Once again I do apologize as I had assumed it was driven and wasnt aware it was on jack stands still.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician