vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

02 passat wagon obd link error. had an air bag light on 8

Customer Question

02 passat wagon obd link error. had an air bag light on 8 months ago. couldnt get vag to connect(laptop and cable) after several attempts got it to connect. cleared light. hasnt connected since.have checked connector, have disconnected abs, ccm,tcm. havnt done ecu or inst.cluster yet. car runs fine. all lights off. just want to be able to scan it if problems arise. stock radio.and every feature works
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am. there is one thing that it does that no one on line has mentioned. sometimes the trans goes into tip mode by itself and you have to shift to 4th and then back to drive. sometimes when it does it you can turn the headlights on bright and it goes back to normal. during the day it doesnt do it .or mabe twice in the 8 or so months iv had it. iv checked voltage as well as ground.i work on cars for a living and have driven vw cars for 20 or so years.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i know of
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?

please do let me know!!

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Every thing on the car is stock and works just ad it does on my other Passat. I gave all the details I can think of in my earlier discription of what the car is doing. As far as skill level I work on Toyota and Lexus cars. I rebuild engines and install. Do electrical problem repairs and tracing. Please speak as you do and if I'm not shire I will let you know. Any ideas?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok the shifter tape is it damaged or has any drink spilled in the shifter area?

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is fine .I replaced it with a known one and it responds the same
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

what about the magnet of the tape did you check the board by any chance ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the magnets are fine. could this be related to my not being able to link to my obd
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.
Under the drivers carpet is it damp of any signs of water damage. There are a couple of splices that are taped up and there also is a black case inside a module is that connector corroded?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both sides are dry with no signs of corrosion. I replaced theccm and pigtailed the plugs as a door lock was sparatic in operation.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

what scan tool are you using ? Make and model . hoping its vag com that has the led light on the dongle

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not around them. Got two by snap on. Got a bag hand held with vw/Audi setting as well as obd2. Got bag.com on laptop/kkl cable. Gat $130 unit from harbor freight all read my other vw cars fine one being 05passat
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the delay can you tru disconnecting the instrument cluster then try to communicate to the ecu. let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will that cause an immobilizer issue. Or a reset issue
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

we are just trying to get the scan tool to communicate with the ecm . since you have no communications at all by removing the cluster will force the scan tool to communicate through k line . you should have communication through k line

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK didn't have time to text at work. Had bought an obd pigtail a while back in case the one the car may have been damaged. Last night I took a moment out of time and did a little digging. My vag/ cable wouldn't connect as usual so I looked at the green connection light. It wasn't on. If I pull the connection apart a little it would light. So. I connected the pigtail to the one in the car and same thing. I checked for power and ground. Good. So I took the green wire away from the connection and the scanner will connect to the car. If I put the green wire back the light goes out and won't link. So I don't have a schematic of the harness. Do you know what that solid green wire connects to. It has 1.2-4 volts on it sometimes and drops to .583 or so sparaticly
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.
Can u take a pic of the connector and wire please. So I can see what you see? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did u get the pic
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

no i did not!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did it get to u? By the way I disconected the inst.cluster and it didn't change. My other wagon has 10.53 or so volts on the green wire( pin #7) and this one has 1.5 volts max( dipping to .53 volts at times.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

no pic at all!!

need a vin # to get the diagram

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wvwvd63b02e336540
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

pin 7 is the k line . so something like a module is shorting the k line !!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where does the k-line get the 10 or so volts from? What powers it? Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.
The modules. Give the power so need to eliminate modules 1 at a time until you get the voltage. Now if all modules eliminated check for short to ground on the wire