EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

After driving about 3 miles down the road and coming home i

Customer Question

after driving about 3 miles down the road and coming home i noticed a burning smell of brakes and saw smoke coming from the caliper area on my drivers side rear
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: the car has just under 100 thousand miles, and it's not leaking any oil or coolant. I just changed the oil and oil pan about 50 miles ago.
JA: What is the model of your '50 VW?
Customer: it's a 2006 jetta 2.5
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself. I have taken the rear caliper off to check to make sure it isn't the piston itself being seized and creating the burning smell. After looking at it though it appears that it could be the parking brake cable or actuator that is attached to the caliper. I feel that it may be hung up and that is what is creating the unwanted friction.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that would be it. I just want to gain some insight before i go and spend money on parts that I don't need to replace.
Category: VW
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

If on your setup the ebrake cable is attached to the actuator on the caliper it is possible that, that s what is nor released all the way. If you needed to replace the actuator or the caliper they come as one unit so both would get replaced anyway. If you want to check if the actuator is frozen, remove the ebrake cable from the actuator. Then it should spring back to its resting position with ease. You can tap it with a hammer to make sure it is all the way released. If it does move freely the ebrake cable may be frozen, or the caliper piston. And make sure the caliper slides are free and move easy on the bracket.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and do not work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for viewing my previous response. Please let me know if you have made progress or need more info. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric