VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I'm in the middle of a timing belt job on my jetta 1.8t. I…

I'm in the middle...

I'm in the middle of a timing belt job on my jetta 1.8t. I got the new belt on and when turn the belt one revolution I'm 6 teeth off my marks

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

115 and no

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Jetta?

04

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing it myself. I've rotated it once and was 6 teeth of and twice it wad12 teeth off

6/28/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. obviously you are doing something wrong. before you started the job and removed the belt, did you make sure you were at #1 tdc on the compression stroke?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I lined up the Mark on the top gear. Not sure what is compression stroke. But now that the top and bottom gears are 12 teeth from my marks in the belt. How do I get it lined back up, is it I'm afraid to move the gear indepently of each other

standby let me pull up the information

did you use any of the special tools called for for this job?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No my tools are regular

ok im going to opt out and open this up to others. its midnight here and this will take too long for me to stay up. good luck.

Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

Tim's Auto Repair
Phone call session started

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnb1qabdg9vl5kh/0628-vw-Caution.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/dnb1qabdg9vl5kh/0628-vw-Caution.doc?dl=0

.