VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2003 vw beetle convertible. The top has just

Customer Question
started to refuse to open...
I have a 2003 vw beetle convertible. The top has just started to refuse to open completely and when I close it it gives the warning signal that it is not closed even though it is latched.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: VW
Is anyone going to help me with this?
Answered in 1 day by:
6/17/2017
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 7 months ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

check your fluid level, in the reservoir on the left side in the trunk area.

These can be kind of finicky, there are a lot of sensors to detect when things are open or closed, including the safety latches that hold the top down when fully open. It may require scanning the system with a factory scan tool or Ross Tech VAG-COM

Ok, thanks. I looked for a reservoir and didn't see any thing obvious I also looked under the spare tire panel. Any other ideas where it could be? I don't have any of those scanners. Any idea on what it would cost to take it to a shop? Worst case scenario? I already have more into this than I can recover selling it.

Most shops start out with an hour diagnosis- so depending on what the hourly rate in your area, it could be $100-$150 just to diagnose it. There is a switch under that latch area, if you remove the plastic trim cover over the entire width of the front edge of the roof assembly- you might find that the microswitch is loose or broken or wiring damaged.

If you look at the carpet trim in the trunk, there should be a round rubbery plastic circle- take that out, and there will be a t-handle behind there. That is on the pump, so if you remove the trim around that you can access the reservoir for the fluid. It takes hydraulic pump oil.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.
It looks like there are more than one weights for the hydraulic fluid (is oil the same as fluid?). Any suggestions?
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician