gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2003 vw beetle convertible. The top has just

Customer Question

I have a 2003 vw beetle convertible. The top has just started to refuse to open completely and when I close it it gives the warning signal that it is not closed even though it is latched.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is anyone going to help me with this?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

check your fluid level, in the reservoir on the left side in the trunk area.

These can be kind of finicky, there are a lot of sensors to detect when things are open or closed, including the safety latches that hold the top down when fully open. It may require scanning the system with a factory scan tool or Ross Tech VAG-COM

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks. I looked for a reservoir and didn't see any thing obvious I also looked under the spare tire panel. Any other ideas where it could be? I don't have any of those scanners. Any idea on what it would cost to take it to a shop? Worst case scenario? I already have more into this than I can recover selling it.

Most shops start out with an hour diagnosis- so depending on what the hourly rate in your area, it could be $100-$150 just to diagnose it. There is a switch under that latch area, if you remove the plastic trim cover over the entire width of the front edge of the roof assembly- you might find that the microswitch is loose or broken or wiring damaged.

If you look at the carpet trim in the trunk, there should be a round rubbery plastic circle- take that out, and there will be a t-handle behind there. That is on the pump, so if you remove the trim around that you can access the reservoir for the fluid. It takes hydraulic pump oil.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, I'll give it a try.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like there are more than one weights for the hydraulic fluid (is oil the same as fluid?). Any suggestions?