vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 1985 Jetta diesel (non-turbo) and I am trying to

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Jetta diesel (non-turbo) and I am trying to remove the water pump to replace it and my Bentley manual doesn't show how to remove the alternator bracket. I have removed the two upper and lower bolts on the bracket but it is still held in place real well. I would guess the bracket must come off to get at the water pump.
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: I don't think it has ever overheated. The engine bent a valve when the timing belt failed. A Mercedes mechanic bot the car with the engine in parts in a bucket and got everything put together. I bot it from him. I have done maintenance on it for over 5 years and it has run fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What products does he recommend to seal the pump to the block and to seal the hoses to the pump. Also, how does he clean the block of the old sealant (if sand paper, what grit).
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey let me see what i have on it

You use a razor . or fine

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have that same picture in my Bently manual. My problem is the alternator bracket is blocking the water pump access. I think I need to remove it but I can't figure out where all the bolts are. There is no picture in the Bently manual for the diesel version of the bracket.
Expert:  kyle swart replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. Does it look like this? I just helped a guy drop a 1997 aaz into a mk1 rabbit pickup, and we had to remove a section of the original motors injection pump bracket so we could use the motor mount portion of it, but the new alternator and bracket were much different, not in the way of the water pump at all. Also, are you replacing just the pump piece, or the whole housing? thanks.

Kyle S.
A.S.E. certified master auto technician
licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified
Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015
Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to replace the whole pump (with housing). The picture you posted looks like the bracket.
I got the number off of the bracket and found the bracket on ebay at this link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Diesel-alternator-bracket-068903145G-85-92-yr-jetta-golf-/132129773810?hash=item1ec38c58f2:g:LbUAAOSw~AVYu7dB&vxp=mtrI have removed the bottom two bolts in the picture you sent. I also removed the upper two bolts in the top bracket thinking it was part of the alternator bracket.In the pictures it looks like there may be a bolt coming in from the left (maybe behind the timing belt) and a bolt coming in from the right? Do you think these are the last two bolts that hold it on?

It really should be just the 4.