VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Broken timing belt while starting, not sure was considering

broken timing belt while starting JA...
broken timing belt while starting
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: not sure was considering buying the car, has 155K on the engine. Not sure if/when the timing belt was last changed. its a 2002 beetle
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't purchased it yet. But was unsure if it was worth buying and fixing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Which engine dose this have, is it the 2.0 gas engine?

It is a gas engine, not sure which model. It was a facebook sale post. Guy's asking $500 for it. Trying to decide if its worth it as I can get a new engine for less than $1000.

If its a 2000 Beetle it should have the 1.8 or 2.0 engine in it and this engine is considered a non interference engine but can still bend valve if the belt breaks so that is something to consider before you make the purchase because if the valve are bent then the head has to come off. So if you can get a good used engine for $1000 and the car for $500 then its would likely be a good buy providing the transmission is okay as well. That being said that is always the risk you run when buying dead engine car. I guess its going to come down to how much you want this car . If you can get it and the engine for the $1500 it would be worth it in mu opinion.

Thank you. According to the owner, the belt broke when turning over and didn't go a full crank. Thanks for your help.

That give you a good chance the valve may be okay, thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician