vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2005 Touareg with -xenon headlights. The drivers

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Touareg with bi-xenon headlights. The drivers side parking light or side light as it is called in some VW documents is out. It is not the bulb and I have checked that there is now 12V going to the 14 pin connector at the headlight harness. The wiring in the headlight had cracked insulation and I repaired it and also bought another headlight. My guess is that a short fried part if the J519 power supply control module. I think I am just going to jump a wire from the other headlight to give it power and pass inspection.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Bulbs OK. Fuses should be fine because only this side light is out. Every other bulb is working. I do have the headlight range control error.
JA: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried new headlight with good bulb. I tested for power at headlight harness.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it. I want to know if I can just jump it from the other headlight and possibly do it under the dash at the J519 module.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

want to verify that its the peanut bulb is the issue correct? if so i do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory wiring diagram .

also do you have vag com by any chance?

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
VIN is WVGBG77L85D013944. I do not have vag com. I have some mechanics skills and I am a mechanical engineer with extensive machinery experience.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
Ok let me investigate on this. It's the peanut bulb correct that does not work correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I suppose you could call it a peanut bulb. It is the little Amber parking light in the headlight housing right above the turn signal.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

the 12 volts that you have checked at the 14 pin harness . what pin is that ? what color wire?

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have 12V at any of the pins on the drivers side headlight. I left the key off and turn the headlight switch on so I see the passenger side parking light on, but not the drivers side. When I measure voltage at the pins with both headlights out. I get a 12.3V on a pin and an 11V on another pin. On the drivers side I don't get any voltage on any of the pins.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

do you have vag com scan tool by any chance?

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

please check fuse 17 of the left side dash fuse box . check for voltage at the fuse with the lights on please on both sides of the fuse . let me know what is the voltage!!

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had 12.8V across the terminals, 2V from the bottom fuse pin and 0V from the top fuse pin. Those voltages were the same regardless if the headlights were on or off.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
did you check the fuse in the socket or out? Because the way you have replied means to me that the fuse is blown. Let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fuse was fine. I pulled the fuse out and I measured across the pins, then measured each pin to ground. It isn't easy finding a ground and I used the brake pedal where paint is scratched. We aren't really getting anywhere. My guess is the root cause was a sort inside the headlight because the wires were missing a lot of their insulation. Next question is did I fry something in the power supply control module. I have a wiring diagram for the headlight and I might just add a wire connecting the other side, but I am not sure if that can cause something else to fry.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
It may overload the j519 due to 2 bulbs to operate than 1.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
See j519 will sense the circuit and if there is an issue it will cause the 519 to shut down the circuit. To override this safe mode scan tool is needed to manually operate and force it on to really check the integrity.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess I either need to get a vag com or take to a dealer then.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

thinking outside the box!!

here is another way but you have to have the bulb socket of the same bulb , the bulb and go to the connector to verify the circuit is good with a known good bulb and socket.

i can tel you what wire goes to the pins and then test.

let me know!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am going to buy a vag com. Always wanted one so it is time to pull the trigger.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

you getting the real one or a clone?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ordering one from Ross Tech now. The enthusiast one for $200 will fit my needs.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

kool . let me know when you get it and i can assist!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, got VCDS running. Went through testing and M1 does not activate and it says Not OK. I saw some intermittent short to ground errors in the central electric and I reset them. Now what?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well now that I have VCDS I don't really need you. I was hoping that you were going to help me with pin outs and and a work around. I ended up buying the expensive diagnostic tools, finding my own wiring diagrams, and doing my own wiring harness troubleshooting. We are going to end this here. Thanks.