vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2009 Beetle and the ac stopped cooling, once in

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Beetle and the ac stopped cooling, once in awhile it will start to cool and then get warm again. I put gages on the system and found the low pressure is reading at the high side of the gage, could it be the valve on the compressor?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Yes, it will not take any.
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I put the gages on the system and found the high side is about 130 and the low is almost at the retard part of the low pressure gage. That is all I have done.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would it be the valve on the compressor that is bad causing the problem, not a bad compressor.
Category: VW
Expert:  Cary York replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Sounds like a low Freon level. Did you say you tried to add Freon but it would not go into the system?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the low pressure reads 115 and the high side reads 130, from what I have read on the internet, there is some valve on the compressor that can be changed and this most of the time will fix the problem, any advice?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any advice on my previous question, I believe it is called Compressor Solenoid Valve?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

This can be a tricky one. I need to know when you have the gages on and the engine off both side pressures should read the same and then start the car and then turn on the a/c does the low side start to dive lower and then go back up .

it is very critical of this test and readings .

please let me know!!

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been in aircraft maintenance for the past 30 plus years and have serviced a lot of air conditioning systems on these aircraft, R-12 and R134A. This is the first time I have come across a problem I can't fix, The new compressors have valves built into them where the compressors turn all the time, no clutch. This valve shuts off the Freon flow through the compressor and from what I have read on the internet, since asking the question from Just Answer, this is the most common problem. The low side reads high whether the engine is running or not. The high side stays around 130, no deflection in either needles when running and will not take any Freon at all. If this valve is stuck closed, there is no flow so, it will not take any Freon. I wanted to verify from someone that works on these if I am correct and by the way, I have since ordered the valve for replacement.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

i do need a vin # please . i'm a 17 yr master vw tech . did you have the vehicle scanned for codes?

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Never mind, I will figure it out myself and no I have no codes on the scanner.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

you will need scanner like vag com / vcds to scan a/c electronics to see if there are any codes. code readers will not do the job.

the valve on the compressor is controlled by PWM so with vcds it will tell you how much that valve is turned on and the torque of the compressor turning to verify if it is a valve or something else.

did you tap on the compressor near the valve when the a/c button is pressed on to see if the cooling changes?