VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Timing belt broke, I purchased a kit to replace all parts. I…

Timing belt broke, I...

Timing belt broke, I purchased a kit to replace all parts. I went to set TDC by turning crankshaft clockwise. The piston rotated but the cam shaft didn't turn. What did I do wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your VW. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Yes it's a 2004 1.8 vw jetta turbo

3/25/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. When you say the cam shaft didn't turn, are you turn the cam from the shaft or the bolt?

Give me a moment to supply you with some information on timing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thanks Todd
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't need a call right now. Just data

Here is the complete timing belt removal and installation instructions. This information should everything you need to complete the task.

You have to set the cam shaft and crank shaft marks separately. Then you can put the belt on.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the when you turn the crank shaft on this vehicle it doesn't rotate the cam shafts?

Not unless the belt is on.

Is the belt on?

I'm sorry, obviously not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay that explains it, I didnt gather that from the written instructions. Thank you, I understand now.

Anyhow, that is what the belt is for. To keep them both rotating together.

In time.

I am glad that I was able to help.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for the rating.