gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Replaced the heater core. Now i have a no crank. power

Customer Question

Replaced the heater core. Now i have a no crank. power windows not working. immobiliser active. I have no power to alarm relay but if i jumper it and turn the key it will crank start run a second and die.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Windows will go up and down thru drivers door lock only
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2002 VW passat 2.8 wagon. All wheel drive
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 months ago.

check fuse 14 in the fuse panel on the left end of the dash. 10a small fuse, red.

your comfort module is not operating anything.

so if the fuse is ok, check under the carpet for water on the driver side

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuse is good comfort module is dry and looks good as new. Passed wiggle test

Check to see if you have power and ground to the comfort module- large red and brown wires at the end of the connector, pins 1 and 2. Can I assume that you pulled the dash completely to do the heater core?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the dash was out . That was fun (not).
Checked power and ground both are good. ( I used a H1fog lamp bulb to test just to make sure the circuit would handle the amperage ).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not pull the fuse box or the relay center

Let me have your VIN and I can look up info specific to your build data

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay here's some more news update I pulled the instrument cluster out to check the connectors on the back thinking maybe I've been a pin or something as you know those have a lever over snap and lock so they're either plugged in or they're not no bent pins no pushed out pins in the connector put it all back together and now it starts. But now I have an airbag fault that I didn't have before I had a check brake pad indicator that I don't have now I went to put the code in to the radio which was locked and it played as soon as I turned it on and didnt have to enter the code.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vin number

yeah, anything after about 2002 the radio will automatically recognize if it is in the same car, due to the communication protocol and new Immobilizer generation.

The brake pad wear indicator will likely come on after you start driving. The airbag light is likely on because it detected a fault in communication between the cluster and the airbag module, just clear the fault and it should be OK.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I shiped the car Wednesday night and got this text friday .......
No heat no defrost both seat heaters do not work no horn you can't control the radio from the steering wheel the defrost button for the rear window doesn't work..They droped the car off friday nigjt I looked at it today. The heater control center is dead. Doesnt even light up when you turn the headligjts on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just as closure if you have the dash out and it blows the fuse for the"No heat no defrost both seat heaters do not work no horn you can't control the radio from the steering wheel "Then you have pluged the seat heater into the rear defrost and the defrost onto the seat heater ....just like i did......
I wouldnt think they would interchange but they do......
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Air bag was a loss of communication and low voltage cleared it. Drove it around monday all is good