VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

We recently purchased a 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio and the radio

Customer Question
is in SAFE mode. I...
We recently purchased a 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio and the radio is in SAFE mode. I do not have the code and the owner's manual page that had the code has been torn out.. The vehicle's VIN is 3VWCC21V32M809287 . Is that enough information for you to provide me with the code to unlock the radio? I really don't want to have to try to remove the radio for the serial number or pay to have someone do it (the VW dealer wants to charge $122.00). Would like to get this done as inexpensively as possible as I believe this code thing is the worst idea any auto maker has ever had!
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
1/10/2017
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

sorry to say but if you remove the radio and retrieve the Radio serial number off the side 1st (starts in AUZ) then call Audi’s customer assistance to speak with a Audi Customer CARE Advocate. Call 1-***-***-**** (AUDI), Mon-Fri, 8 am to 8 pm, Eastern Time. If you tell them your Vehicle ID number and the radio serial number they will ask you some questions to verify the vehicle is registered to you and then they should provide you with the code for FREE. This typically takes a couple of days.

It is illegal for anyone to access the radio code through the Audi data base without verifying the customer, vehicle, and radio serial numbers. If someone were to provide that service for you here online, they would be risking their employment as well as legal ramifications.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is disappointing. I had seen a previous post to this site wherein the mechanic was able to research the correct code for the radio reset just by using the VIN. I do not want to take the radio out for this procedure. If that's all that you can provide, please do not bill me for the $38.00. Thank you.

fair enough I'll opt out and open this up to others

good luck

VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 1 year ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

If you pull the radio out, and give me the serial number (begins with vwz...) then I can look it up for you.

There is no way, never has been, to look up the radio code using just the VIN on a VW. it may have been in the dealer's paperwork at some point, but without access to that info there is no other way.

When we prepped cars, we used to put the pin on the card in the radio book of the owners' manual, and also leave a copy on a sticker in the tire well in the trunk. You can try looking there, if nobody ever pulled the original sticker out of the trunk to stick it n the radio card it may still be there or they may have written it on a sticker there.

i even used your VIN and looked to see if it may have been scanned for faults at some time, and the fault log uploaded to the system (GFF paperless) but there was no record.

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician