vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I own a 2011 Tiguan. The parking brake won't release. I just

Customer Question

Hi, I own a 2011 Tiguan. The parking brake won't release.
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: I just bought the vehicle from a dealership yesterday. The fluid was just replaced. The brakes are still good.
JA: Are you fixing your Tiguan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The standard release. No clue how hat else to try
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I turn it on, the screen says check parking break - user manual. But I was not given one yesterday when I bought it.
Category: VW
Expert:  Todd M replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you tried checking the connection to the brake actuator on the rear wheels. I've come across a couple of VWs with this issue and it turned out that if these connectors aren't functioning, the vehicle senses something wrong and the park brake engages to prevent the vehicle being driven without brakes. You can remove them rear wheels and on the back side of the caliper you will see this plug. Test this plug for power and ground and also, make sure it's connected(on both sides).