Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

VW - I need an experienced Volkswagen mechanic with

Customer Question

VW - I need an experienced Volkswagen mechanic with extensive hands on experience
with the 1999 model VR6 engine. The vehicle is a Eurovan and the questions relate
to timing chains, lower engine noise, another noise in dash needing ID, and erratic
idle. The the chains issue and lower engine noise get 1st priority.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

What questions you have and also i do need a vin # to see which vr6 engine you have

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wolfgang, thanks for getting back to me.
Vehicle: 1999 Eurovan 135,000 miles. AES engine Vin: WV2KH2704XH131710
I am an experienced mechanic, former shop owner specialized in imports.
I acquired this unit because no one else wanted it. But, I am usually still up to a challenge
particularly lately by being limited in funds; I needed the wheels. The engine had not had
an oil change in a long time. I mentioned this to the seller and it was like a light went on in his head...
After many flushes and changes I got it to where what came out looked more like
what went in. At that point I had chain noise, a high pitched whine from the bottom
end, and occasional dry slap during summer start ups.1. Chains: I researched the engine through forum commentary and learned that some VR6 eng., apparently wore out the middle sprocket unusually quickly and I figured that the one I got was a very good candidate for that. Bye and bye I got into the top end a looked at the upper chain, guides and sprocket, all of which looked OK; (to eyeball test). The intermediate sprocket condition was
my primary concern. The upper tensioner however, had a flat spot and would stick when compressed so I replaced it with a new OEM unit. This moderated the slithering but, did not eliminate it. Oil that worked best before the tensioner change was 20w50 with the 6th qt. Lucas
oil stabilizer. With the new part I changed to 10w30 again, but wound up using the Lucas product too.
On start up with the empty filter and before the Lucas, I got a pretty good knocking for 4-5 revs. But, when running there is no knocking and no dry slap starting in these cooler days. I am planning to do the chains after I inspect the journals, but, would be best to push that back a while. So, the questions regarding the chain are how far am I away from skipping a cog? Is it necessary to replace the other two sprockets in addition to the intermediate? And, how did VW let this all be possible?2. The scream from the center of the pan, I assume, is related to the oil pump. However, it is a lobe
pump and the noise it makes is more like spur gears being out of spec. there are two helical gears farther up driving the pump. The noise also goes down after a few minutes and returns the next time the engine is started. I have seen no warning lights for this but I haven't checked oil pressures.
The question here is; what is causing the noise? Will a new pump do it, or will I need to go farther in
and replace the drive gears?3. There is a noise which seems to originate behind the dash; a hum which is a rotating sound,
and which winds down when key is turned off. I thought I read somewhere that the cruise has its own Vac pump and this noise resembles what I'd imagine that would; like a mini vacuum cleaner winding down. What is it?4. Fuel injection: In getting down to the chain level I had to take the fuel system apart, and I cleaned the
manifold as well. The connector on one injector came off with the plug so I ordered two to replace with.
I got the asian cheapies (Osumo) and put two of those in with four original units. The engine also
got what is probably its first new set of spark plugs which are OEM preset Bosch as per catalog.
I was very careful putting it back together and used new gaskets and all new O rings for the injectors. I also replaced all of the vacuum lines in the areas I worked - but had no vacuum or other problems beforehand. Before I did the work the engine would start of 2nd or third turn and come up to a strong idle. Now, it takes 8-10 revolutions and staggers to life. There are no codes showing.
The question is: What have I over looked.5. In many years of swinging a wrench to the point where I almost had myself convinced
that I knew what I was doing; in putting this one back together I managed to wind up with
two extra bolts which I have no clue where they go - other than into this particular car.
I was winging it when I took it apart and I probably removed something that wasn't nec. for
this particular job and so didn't run across is going the other way. I noted that VW is pretty
good about grouping fasteners by zone with different types of heads so perhaps you can
direct me to the right location for these: 10mm hex head w/sheet metal like
threads. 10mm long, 6mm dia. They look like they were in clip nuts rather than plastic.Comments:
It almost seems that this chain issue could have resulted from VW wanting a 6 cylinder engine
that would fit into all the vehicles that the 5 went into and that, to save 20mm or so in
width, VW dropped to a single row chain even thought the VR6 engine has more power and
probably needed the extra row of material.Thanks for your help. I will be happy to give you a positive rating for your efforts.
paul
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

with the amount of questions i will answer the first 2 . change the chains, guides, gear and the oil pump . inspect the camshaft lobes and lifters to make sure that there is no worn damage. some whine is normal with that engine . noises are the hardest thing to diagnose because i'm here and the vehicle is there!!!

the rest of the questions require more time and question money.