Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Have 2013 VW Beetle Turbo and when it gets cold outside it

Customer Question

Have 2013 VW Beetle Turbo and when it gets cold outside it won't start, you turn the key and nothing at all, have power for the lights. As soon as it warms up outside it starts rught up.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Is the concern we need to address a no crank concern or the shifter will not come out of park?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know what to look at, or what to do so I need your advice
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will contact you after dinner tomorrow then, I am in Central Time, what time zone are you in? I agree we can use the phone then too. It's supposed to be around 38 here in the morning, hope the car starts, my wife drives that to work, if not she will have to drive mine like she did today

I am in central. This is not a concern that can be easily address over the phone. You mentioned it will not crank and will not come out of park, I assume those are intermittent issues?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Works for me we will continue tomorrow and the cranking issue is the problem, if I can get it started it goes into gear like it is supposed to. I will open the site tomorrow and send you a line, when you are ready we can use the phone. Thank You

Do you own a volt meter or test light so we can see which signal the starter relay needs but is not getting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have meter

Can I get the vin$ to see which model engine you have to get the right diagrams?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3VWV67AT3DM613557

Here is your starting diagram. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/vwstarter.pdf

For the start relay to work it needs power and ground on the coil side and power on the switch side. Once the coil is energized the switch closes and sends power to the starter motor. Can you confirm or not if the starter relay is getting this signal and does the relay click when trying to start?

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris