vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Need help getting crankshaft lined up during a timing belt

Customer Question

Hi need help getting crankshaft lined up during a timing belt change.
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 100,000. Actually the water pump went (plastic impellor) so I bought the lit with the timing belot.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: kit 2003 Beetle convertible, GLS with the not very common automatic transmission
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have the camshaft on top lined up, but I can't seem to get the lower lined up. If I line up the marks I made before I pulled the belt off, then the mark on the inspection window near the transmission is not visible.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ok
Category: VW
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The upper is lined up perfectly. The camshaft on the bottom I'm having trouble lining up.
If I line up the marks I made on it before I took the old belt off, then the line in the inspection window where the transmission joins the motor is not visible. Does that mark need to be in the center of the inspection window, or lined up with the end of the window closest to the bumper?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried pulling the plug closest to the belt (I assume number 1) and placing something it it to see the travel. I can't tell the difference between when I line up my marks or when I line up the mark in the inspection window. It's maybe a 5 or 6 teeth difference on the camshaft gear where the belt goes. Not enogh difference to feel the piston moving up or down. So the big question is do i trust my old marks, or the indicator on the engine near the transmission. If the latter, where exactly do I line up the mark? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, What engine do you have? there are 4 possibles. you can send the VIn# ***** well if that helps