VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2014 volks wagen jetta se with i4 engine when you leave it

Customer Question
idle for long time it...
2014 volks wagen jetta se with i4 engine when you leave it idle for long time it turns it self off after youve druving it it also stalls and stumbles at free way soeeds abd shuts off wont restart till it cools down it leaves no check rngine light or
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Ok
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive had it to dealer in stickton 3 times for same issue and it coded once for highpressure fuel pump they replaced it but still does dame thing when hot it turns off it wont restart and when it restarts its a hard startvand stumbles and stalls
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: Both no check engine light comes on when it does it it wont restart till engine has cooled down oil and coolant are full
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im guessing its a coil issue but like isaid im guessing
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
1/2/2017
VW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

I agree with you that if fuel pump is new then that leaves the coil since we need fuel & spark to start & run

But since dealer can duplicate it ,when it happens with you ,can you check for power & ground & see what you are missing at time of failure ?

this is the key here for Intermittent no Start condition ,what are we missing then fuel or spark or BOTH, this sat least will narrow it down for us .

do you a diagnostic scanner ?

what was the dealer fault code retrieved if you know it ?

We need correct Fuel pressure & good Spark for the engine to run correctly ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

this will require

have you had a diagnostic scan and retrieved the fault codes ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It leaves no code it just turns off we have a scanner but it shows no code on ours or at dealer in stockton snd it never does this while at dealer they say they cant get car to recreate issue

yes because they are as good as the tech they have & and if they know how to diagnosis problem like this they would probably just dont know

but i understand you just wanted fixed

usually why no fault codes are shown because it is a module issue and each time you cycle the switch it will reset that module ,so as an example if the CKP crank shaft position sensor ) is failing intermittently when it gets hot next time you start it want send a timing signal to car ecm and it will not start ,

now even if you scan it that ckp fault code want show because it has to happen twice (2) 24 hr period as example , but when it cools down, next time you start it in few hours it will send a signal and ecm does see ckp signal and it will reset the flag counter to zero again and we will never reach 2 to set a fault code .

same as true on the fuel pressure sensor, so testing as described above is needed, now these are skill level A Techs ,if you can I suggest another dealer if they can not figure it out for you .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Imguving them one more chance to correct it it just makes no sense that it just shuts off while idleing i thought at first itvwasvlije a vapor lock but didnt thinkit could di that wit fuelinjection so dont cycke key next time it hsppens then and il have it towed in

well that is a great idea but hopefully the tech knows not to disconnect battery or you buy a scanner and you do it but if you still under warranty they should take care of it for you

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can yoy come to stockton dealer to repair it just askin

I m in Grenville south Carolina ,is Stockton in California . :)

I would if you were like close , thank you for asking :) though

i know it frustrating with these problems , i like to do hard to solve problems ,my ase is in electronics /electrical and engine performance and I like a challenge when i worked at dealership they a;l;ways send me hard problems to me so i learned :), a lot of great techs out there way better than me I m always learning .

now don't get me wrong sometime you get one that take you a week to work on it but i takes me research & time ,it will be different when i have it in my shop where i can come back to it back and forth and hook my scopes and do a long process testing, i usually do for my own cars that i sell now days and have not done it for public since 2006 ,i have enough work to keep my busy thank god , but i would have loved to help you , i would explain to the service manager what is going on and tell him how frustrating this issue and causing you to loose money and time , now days all about feedback and customer service so use that to your advantage will be my advice :)

good luck with it

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked dealer to check crank sebsor and coils this time it is going back on a toe truck today thanks for help south csrolina is a long ways away happy new years ang good luck in youre bussiness

you are very welcome

Happy New year To you as well

Have a great 2017

keep me updated

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ah my wife said last time ot quit she was squeezzing the key and it restarted as soon as she let off pressure on key it died maybe a bad battery in key or bad key pod maybe

yes sir absolutely a dead key fob battery will cause this ,if you have 2nd key ,try it

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No second key bought car used previous daily rental

any lock smith with proper equipment or dealer can verify the key functions & battery level ,if you suspect the key

well good luck with it

I will be offline till next week on Monday

so take care & we talk to you later

Please don"t forget to Rate me Before You exit since that is how we get compensated for our time :)

Chad

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat