peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My MK3 has no turn signal lights. No lights on the

Customer Question

My MK3 has no turn signal lights. No lights on the instrument panel or on the front or back of the car. If I turn on the hazard light switch the light on the hazard switch button lights up but it doesn't flash or light up the indicators on the instrument panel. This all began when I left the lights on and ran down the battery. At that time the security system sounded off and couldn't be reset with the key. Once the battery was recharged I was able to reset the security system but I have not had blinkers ever since then.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No and no.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the VW Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 1996 VW Golf GL
JA: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses. Replaced turn signal lever/emergency flasher switch. I am fixing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases a low voltage code will set in one or more of the computers and needs cleared out with a compatible scan tool to correct certain issues.This is usually not the case with the light issues you see here but I would have the fault codes checked to see if any codes are set that either need cleared out to resolve this here or diagnosed and repaired then cleared out.

Double check all fuses including larger main fuses are all o.k. as this can cause this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I took the car to autozone to have the codes checked and reset but that didn't fix the problem. Just for the hell of it I bought a crappy aftermarket flasher relay and that fixed it.

That is great to hear,Make sure the flasher contacts that the flasher plugs into are not burned or damaged in any way as this can sometimes occur.But it sounds like you have resolved the issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete