VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I tried changing the rear brake pads but forgot to use a

Customer Question
i tried changing the rear...
i tried changing the rear brake pads but forgot to use a battery charger (2007 b6 passat 3.6l)
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: no i haven't
JA: What year is your Passat?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i have. I've done this several times. This is my 10th year with the vehicle. I just took it for granted this time around and now i have a fault.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The right side is ok. But the left side has an issue.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 day by:
1/2/2017
VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 10 months ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

What fault do you have ?? did the battery go low ??

Hello, let me explain it all.
I have been driving this 2007 vw 3.6L Passat for 10yrs now. I have changed the rear brakes on 3 occasions with the VAG-COM during this period. Yesterday i tried changing the rear pads, but i lazily did not connect a battery charger. When i opened the pistons with the VAG-COM, i tried to puch back the pistons so i could fit in the new pads, but i observed it got stuck mid way. I went back to close and then re-open the pistons with the VAG-COM and still without the battery charger, but with the calipers hanging out with no pads.I think this was a mistake. The pistons pushed out a little over the dust boot and the VAG-COM raised an error. This was on the left rear brakes.I tried to open again, but no response. I checked the fault codes and saw about 5 codes.( 02443, 02429, 02428, 02426 and 02434) .Well by the next day. I removed the left EPB motor and manually turned the piston with a T50 torx to the open position so i could push it back into the dust boot and the fully open position.
I installed the pads on both sides using this method, bled the brakes. The i connected the battery charger to close back the pistons electronically. Apparently it was too late. The Parking brake button keeps flashing, with brake led on MFD flashing.
I disconnected the battery and reconnected, pressed the brake for 35 secs and the parking brake button for 10sec. But no change. Well on pressing the parking brake button, the right EPB motor operated and probably the left(not sure about the left). I did fault code check on the VAG-COM and now have 1 fault which i cannot get rid of. This code is (02432). The power supply cable checks out ok on the left EPB. At the moment, just the right EPB holds the rear, the left EPB does not operate.
So my problem is getting rid of code (02432) and i need to know where the problem lies?. Is it the left EPB motor? and hopefully not the EPB module.
At the moment, to prevent the distraction of the flashing parking brake lights, i disconnected fuses SC29 and SC30 from the Panel C fuse box. Vehicle drives and brakes are firm, but parking brake is not operational. Also ESP indicator is lit on the MFD.
Also have a look at the printout of the Autoscan results for my vehicle. I've having DTCs relating to the Catalyst for 2yrs now and unending " high idle" when there is high electrical load from the AC or xenon lights. This has been on for last 6yrs and i think it has an effect on the catalytic converters in the exhaust. keeps throwing up the MIL.

Sorry for the delay the mistake that was made is activating the pistons with the vagcom with the brake pads not installed this caused the piston to push past its limit and is causing your fault more then likely you will need a new EPB motor and not the module which are not to common to fail just the caliper motor assembly . Just by looking at the log you attached to me you will need to replace the converters for the issue where they are not sufficient enough very common issue on these vehicles but some customers do not replace them because of the high cost of the repair and not fun to do on the 6 cylinder. I hope this helps please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided thank you

vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician