Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

Won't start. Cranks ok and seems to fire but dies when key

Customer Question

won't start. Cranks ok and seems to fire but dies when key is released. When it was running last week, I thought the maf was failing or dirty due to power surges and stuttering. Cleaned it up and it worked fine for a week then one day just wouldnt start. Changed maf but no go.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: yes all tight and no apparent corrosion.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2003 jetta with 2 liter
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. checked fuses and i hear the fuel pump pressuring up when i open the door
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont have a code reader.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan (9M2) L4-2.0L (AVH)

Save Article

Ignition/starter Switch and Lock Cylinder, Removing And Installing Lock Cylinder, Removing And Installing CAUTION! - Before beginning repairs on the electrical system: - Obtain the anti-theft radio security code. - Switch off all electrical consumers. - Switch the ignition off and remove the ignition key. - Disconnect negative (-) battery terminal. - When disconnecting and reconnecting battery terminals, observe all applicable Notes and torque specifications, as well as instructions on performing OBD program and electrical system function checks Removing - Disconnect battery. - Remove steering column switches.

Zoom and Print Options

- Where applicable, carefully disconnect electrical connection for the induction coil for anti-theft immobilizer from lock cylinder.

NOTE:

- If equipped, the induction coil for anti-theft immobilizer is integrated with the lock cylinder and cannot be serviced separately.

- Insert ignition key in lock cylinder and turn to position "Drive".

Position of key in lock cylinder:

1 - Position "Stop"
2 - Position "Drive"
3 - Position "Start"

Zoom and Print Options

- Insert steel wire (approx. dia. 1.2 mm) in drilling next to ignition key -arrow-.

NOTE:

- To enable steel wire to be inserted straight into hole, ignition key may have to be dismantled and inserted into lock cylinder without key head.

- Dismantle ignition key if necessary.

Zoom and Print Options

- Release lock cylinder securing lever using wire -arrow- and remove lock cylinder from steering lock housing.

1 - Lock cylinder
2 - Steel wire (approx. dia. 1.2 mm)
3 - Securing lever

Installing

- Release securing lever using wire (approx. dia. 1.2 mm) and insert lock cylinder in steering lock housing.

NOTE:

- Where applicable, ensure immobilizer induction coil electrical connection orientation in lock cylinder housing guide.

- Pull wire out of lock cylinder and ensure lock cylinder is secured properly in steering lock housing.

Zoom and Print Options

- Reconnect immobilizer reading coil electrical connector -arrow- to lock cylinder.
- Install steering column switches and steering wheel.

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Save Article

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder

Ignition Lock Cylinder

Sedan

8E0905855$143.90

Contact Dealer for most current part and price information

Wagon

###-##-####H$102.00

Save Article

Ignition/starter Switch and Lock Cylinder, Removing And Installing Ignition/starter Switch, Removing And Installing CAUTION! - Before beginning repairs on the electrical system: - Obtain the anti-theft radio security code. - Switch off all electrical consumers. - Switch the ignition off and remove the ignition key. - Disconnect negative (-) battery terminal. - When disconnecting and reconnecting battery terminals, observe all applicable Notes and torque specifications, as well as instructions on performing OBD program and electrical system function checks. Removing - Disconnect battery. - Remove steering column switches. - Disconnect electrical connector from ignition/starter switch.

Zoom and Print Options

- Remove locking paint on securing screws -A-.
- Loosen two securing screws -A- slightly and pull ignition/starter switch out from steering lock housing in direction of -arrow-

Installing

- Push ignition/starter switch into steering lock housing.

NOTE:

- When installing the ignition/starter lock switch ensure that the ignition/starter lock switch and the lock cylinder are in the same position, e.g "ignition on".

- Tighten securing screws and seal with locking paint.
- Connect electrical connector to ignition/starter switch.
- Reinstall steering column switch and steering wheel.

there is 2 part of the switch ,mechanical lock cylinder and electrical ,one on them is the issue but testing is needed

PLEASE CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW DIAGRAMS

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where do I Obtain the anti-theft radio security code

from owners manual if you have them,it will be written on small card if not call the dealer psarts department & give them vin #,some will give you some will tell you bring it for service to charge you

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Happy Holidays

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat