Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

2006 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Engine: Starts fine cold then shuts

Customer Question

2006 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Engine: Starts fine cold then shuts off. Won't start again until it has sat for an hour or so.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Battery replaced about a year ago, connection fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really. Needed tune up so I did it while it was down, but that's about it. Fault codes are fuel related. Rail pressure etc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Replaced broken engine cover to fix engine air issues and faults
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- can you send me the fault code retrieved ?

2- we need fuel & spark to stay running ,at time of failure ,what are we losing fuel or spark or both ?

3- are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

4-Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to retrieve new codes bc when I replaced plugs and engine over I reset codes to see if that fixed the following codes:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wanting as much info to take to shop. Online is a myriad of causes and solutions: fuel pump and related part, alternator, battery, etc. Just don't want the run around. I am not a mechanic. I do the easy stuff.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will be driving and it will lose power (I can push the petal to the floor) then come to stop looking, battery light comes on and won't restart. You can hear it trying to start, but won't turn over.

so it want crank over when this happens

IT is a NO crank

Not Crank But want Start

like battery or starter or switch ?

not engine issue fuel or spark ,you lost me here which one:)

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

now the P0089 will cause this issue

Can you perform test below

please click on blue link to view diagram

Fuel Pressure Sensor G247, Checking Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required ◊Multimeter. ◊Wiring diagram. Test requirements ◊The Fuel Pump (FP) Control Module (J538) OK. ◊ The Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623) fuses OK. ◊The fuel filter OK. ◊The battery voltage at least 12.5 V. ◊All electrical consumers switched off (radiator fan must NOT run during test). ◊A/C switched off. ◊The fuel tank at least 1/4 filled. ◊The ignition switched off. Test procedure - Perform a preliminary check to verify the customers complaint. Refer to => [ Preliminary Check ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Preliminary Check. Start diagnosis - Remove the engine cover with air filter. Checking voltage - Disconnect the Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) electrical harness connector - 1 -.

Zoom and Print Options

- Switch the ignition on.

- Using a Multimeter, check the Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) electrical harness connector terminals for voltage.

Zoom and Print Options

Zoom and Print Options

- Switch the ignition off.

If the specified value was obtained:

- Replace the Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247).

If the specified value was not obtained:

Checking wiring connections

If the manufacturers test box is being used. Perform the following step.

- Install the test box.

If the manufacturers test box is not being used. Perform the following step.

- Remove the Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623). Refer to => [ Motronic Engine Control Module J623, Replacing ] See: Engine Control Module > Removal and Replacement > Motronic Engine Control Module J623, Replacing.

- Using a Multimeter, check the Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247) electrical harness connector terminals to the Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623) electrical harness connector T60 terminals for an open circuit according to the wiring diagram.

Zoom and Print Options

Zoom and Print Options

Specified value: 1.5 ohms Max.

If the specification is not obtained:

- Check the wiring for a short circuit to each other, Battery (+), and Ground (GND).

- Check the electrical harness connector for damage, corrosion, loose or broken terminals.

- If necessary, repair the faulty wiring connection.

If no malfunction is detected in the wiring:

- Erase the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory.

- Perform a road test to verify repair.

If the DTC does not return:

Repair complete, Generate readiness code. Refer to => [ Readiness Code ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Readiness Code.

- End diagnosis.

If the DTC does return and no malfunction is detected in the wiring and the voltage supply was not OK:

- Replace the Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623). Refer to => [ Motronic Engine Control Module J623, Replacing ] See: Engine Control Module > Removal and Replacement > Motronic Engine Control Module J623, Replacing.

- Assembly is performed in the reverse of the removal.

Final Procedures

After the repair work, the following work steps must be performed in the following sequence:

1. Check the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 03 - Read DTC Memory ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Diagnostic Mode 03 - Read DTC Memory.

2. If necessary, erase the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory.

3. If the DTC memory was erased, generate readiness code. Refer to => [ Readiness Code ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Readiness Code.

End of diagnosis.

Happy Holidays

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat