peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I just bought my daughter a 99 b5 passat. 1.8 t with

Customer Question

I just bought my daughter a 99 b5 passat. 1.8 t with automatic transmission. I have code p1649 with the following additional symptoms. The asr button does not light up nor does the abs light come on at startup. In addition when I set my ebrake the brake light does not come on on the dash. I am sure someone has been messing with it to gwt the light off. I would like a diagram of it if possible as well as any ideas you may have.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This code is for the data circuit at fault from the brake ecu itself.This can be due to an internal electrical fault with the anti lock brake ecu needing replaced as I have seen fail in the past before or a wiring issue to the anti lock brake ecu.

Below is a wiring diagram chart on this here.Make sure all wires are o.k. as well as all fuses o.k..If the wiring is all o.k. I suspect a possible internal fault in the anti lock brake unit itself needing replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qro8sojtla7rfj6/a-12-30.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msyehf48i1l3379/b-12-30.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mu9meu2hv02gppc/c-12-30.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
would the bad module keep the lights from coming on

Yes for sure.The lights are controlled by the module itself.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. It will be next week before I can get it checked. Unless it warms up here. Is a module swap difficult

In most cases it has to be programmed by a dealer when it is replaced.This calibrates it to the vehicle itself.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will my vagcom cable do it

The vagcom can usually communicate with it but I believe you have to have dealer access to program it.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If i have it rebuilt does it have to be programmed

Usually it doesnt if it is rebuilt as the programming should still be in it unless the rebuilder wipes the programming from it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would one from an identical make model and year bolt in. i have a 99 wagon parts car

I believe it is programmed to the vehicles VIN to match and communicate with the other computers properly.You can try it but I believe even a used one will need programmed.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just found a rebuild service for $40 so thats a plus. Do you have a pin out diagram for the big connector to the module.

Unfortunately my information is not showing me a connector pinout on this model here.I apologize for this.

Thanks Pete