Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

05 VW GTI 1.8t, when car is cold and I start to drive it I

05 VW GTI 1.8t, when car is cold and I start to drive it I get high rpm's and low acceleration. Just had a gasket installed between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. At first, I would let the car warm up and it would be fine. Now it does it more often, even after the car is warmed up.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: Yes and it is 1.8t and it never happened before I had the gasket replaced.
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: I am not for sure. The vehicle is a 2005.
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not done any work on this vehicle, I take it to a mechanic shop for all the work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I was not having this issue before.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information

• is the check engine light on?
  • was a scan test performed to see if there is any codes stored ?
  • any recent accidents ?
  • does the vehicle studder at times ?

please let me know

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Check engine light is not on, scan was performed but I didn't get any info from the mechanic, was hit on passenger side door and rear quarter panel in August, but car has been repaired and no the car does not studder.

is this a manual transmission or automatic?

vin # will help me!!

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Automatic and vin number-9BWDE61J854038157

does it go through the gears or does it seem it is stuck in one gear like 3rd gear?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it doesn't want to shift out of first gear when it is cold but once it warms up it will shift through all gears

ok. do you have vag com scan tool?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't, can I purchase one in a store?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a brand new lap-top and what do I do with the cable?

there is a program that you install and the cable is the key and then run the program with the cable hooked up to read codes and read values of what the ecu is reading . with your issue there are values needed to investigate of the low power issue you have!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, this is similar to the OBD reader but more in-depth on diagnosing certain codes and problems, correct? Does the program come with the cable?

yes correct and yes it does!!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I have to sign off now, have to get up early for work. Can I request you again in a few days? I am going to buy the cable and run the diagnostics like you say, may take a few days to get it.

that is just ok !! just keep in touch!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you!

my pleasure!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Received the vag-com scan tool-ran the diagnostics and came up with some faults for the auto-trans, abs-fault codes 01316, 00652 and 01045 for auto trans and fault code 00285 for ABS Brakes. Which one of the fault codes for auto-trans do you think could be causing my issue?

ok you have a fault with the tiptronic shifter . what happens if you clear the trans codes does the trans act the same?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Didn't clear the trans codes, I don't think the program I am using will allow me to clear the codes. But I also have a fault with gear monitoring-27-10-implausible signal-intermittent, same wording for the tiptronic switch (F 189). ABS control module-no communications-intermittent under trans. The self-diagnosis log is attached.

you should be able to clear when you read the codes there is a tab to clear . i do know of the gear monitorng fault but i would like to know if the any of the faults come back!!!..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

awesome thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

my pleasure!!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Wolfgang, I ran the scan again and cleared the codes, but the only one that came back for the trans was the gear monitoring -00652-implausible signal-intermittent. Today, the check engine light came on and I did another scan of just the engine-2 codes came up-P1570 and P1624, cleared codes and the P1624 will not clear and I think it has something to do with the TCM.

are there any oil leaks on the transmission?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think so, there is no puddles on the ground under the vehicle.

it doesn't have to be puddles but if there is a small leak and leaking for a while so if ou have a slippage the fluid level may be low!!!

to check the fluid level you will need vag com to monitor the temperature while you remove the small plug which has a tube of level.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I think I am going to have to take it to a mechanic to check it, I don't have the tools or a shop to do that.

just keep in mind expect the unexpected with this tranny!!!