peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My headlights stay on even when the car is turned off. Why

Customer Question

My headlights stay on even when the car is turned off.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Why would I check the bulbs if the lights stay on? You need a little more intelligence built into your automated responses. :)
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2006 Jetta 2.5
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the battery, checked the CCM for corrosion, etc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm curious if I need to take the CCM to a dealership for programming or if I can do it myself
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your Vehicle electrical system control module controls the head lights on and off signals.This wouldnt be the switch itself at fault as this would usually time out with the key off and turn off your lights and if they are staying on all of the time with the switch off this can lead to the vehicle electrical system control module at fault.You would want to have the signals checked to help verify this which requires a compatible scan tool to monitor the control module signals to pinpoint for sure that it needs replaced.

If replaced it does need programmed by a dealer in order to operate in your model properly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete