Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have gotten in an accident and my steering wheel is hard

Customer Question

I have gotten in an accident and my steering wheel is hard to turn and car leaking at the bottom.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: No how do you check that
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: Not a VW but Chevy Equinox
JA: What year is your Equinox?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have gotten in a accident and only my licence plate is damaged and now my steering wheel won't turn properly and the car is leaking oil.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Whats the best thing I can do right now
Category: VW
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks

hey

I m sorry to hear about the accident you had.

if the steering is hard and oil leaking ,it sounds the power steering pump, steering rack or either one of the power steering line got busted ,the lines run thru the front bumper they could have got cracked.

if this is not engine oil and engine still running good , it will be fine driving it , but steering will stay hard , at least to get it to shop, that oil probably spilled and will spray drive belts and make the belt come off,depends hoe far you need to go.

be best if you call & make a report then you can claim an insurance & they will fix ,you might have more damage behind that plate

how fast wee you going ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wasn't going fast just wasn't able to spot at the appropriate time. Half of the bumper also fell but popped it back in so its possible the power steering line got busted. I was driving with Lyft rental. How would I go about explaining the issue.

oh i see . well did you get the additional insurance when you rented it ?or used your own policy ?

go to advance auto or local parts buy some power steering fluid & top off & see how fast the fluid comes out , take bumper back off and look at what is leaking ,might be able to repair ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It already came insured with the rental company. I'll go to the store and see if they have any power steering fluid. What is top off and how to take the bumper off properly.

i sent you 2 diagrams showing power steering reservoir

press on blue link to open picture

The bumper I don't have any info or pictures on R &R that is more body shop not mechanical ,I m sorry on that ,That is not my specialty .

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Hey how are you

Happy Thanksgiving, hope it all worked out with rental car

Please Don't Forget To Rate Me Before you exit Since that is How we Get Compensated :)

Thank You
Chad Farhat