VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Timing belt seemed to have slipped on pass side 2000 Passat

2.8. Appears to have been...
timing belt seemed to have slipped on pass side 2000 Passat 2.8. Appears to have been causaed by squirrels nest in cover. Exh valvs bent.
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 138 on car don't know if changed
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: front end off, covers off head off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: conf over tdc
11/19/2016
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. What's your question? I'll see if I can help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
timing mark on pulley lined up drivers side cam in proper position removed pass head and #1 is at bottom of stroke is that right?

Bring cylinder 3 to TDC. Make sure that the mark on the crankshaft pulley and the mark on the belt guard are lined up. Once you've done that, check the camshaft sprockets. The holes in the sprocked plates should be in perfect alignment with the larger holes on the inside.

Was that what you were asking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3 is at tdc, this is my first vw all other cars I have worked on #1 would be at TDC so I was cofused

Usually, you'd be looking at bringing cylinder 1 to DTC, but on this engine, it's cylinder 3. If youd like, I can get you the complete timing belt procedure with diagrams for as little as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I move crank back 45 deg before I reinstall head? I have the timing belt proc already.

Bring cylinder 3 to TDC, then rotate the engine back just slightly to allow clearance

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician