vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

06 Passat has v282(02432) code. Caliper, module, cable?

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  david craig replied 8 months ago.

Hi Im David......will do my best to help you! Motor is controlled by Electro Mechanical Parking brake control module. Which is located under center console. Use Digital Volt meter to check continuity between motor and Module. if you find open circuit, then repair that circuit. if wiring is good, then problem will be the module itself.

heres a diagram

sorry. wrong diagram. give me a sec

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't see the diagram anywhere.... also I changed the brakes about 6 months ago. But accidentally turned the epb on but the calipers were already off.... piston came off. Didn't want to buy new ones. My small brake computer didn't want to retract the piston bolt.... so I stripped small extentsion cable. Hooked it up to a battery charger and inserted stripped cables into the connector behind the electrical motor.... could had been just the rear driver side caliper or both. Can't remember.

open it up in pdf......... fix the wiring.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The cable I peeled was not the one on the car... it was just some extension I had laying around. I hooked it up to a battery charger and deactivated the epb manually if you can say

it really dont matter. you need do check the wiring as per procedure

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK now as for the diagram. I have no idea what any of that means. Do I just need to check the voltage on the end where I connect to the EPB ? If I do what should the meter read ?

standby. very busy with other customers

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sir still waiting.

Motor is controlled by Electro Mechanical Parking brake control module. Which is located under center console. Use Digital Volt meter to check continuity between motor and Module. if you find open circuit, then repair that circuit. if wiring is good, then problem will be the module itself. no. you arent checking voltage. you are unplugging both end and checking continuity of each wire. the meter should be set to ohms and one lead on one of meter on one end and the othe lead on the other end, if the wire is good the meter should read 000

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the meter I bought. How do I use it to check continuity. Where do o plug the cables and to what setting do I put the meter

ill get back with you in a while. i gotta get out of this shop and head home

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

you need to access the module and the motor. disconnect both then set you meter to ohms. using the print i sent check the wiring point to point for continuity. if a wire is good the meter will read 000.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
By motor you are referring to the epb or the engine?

epb

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dcraig1000/3df459d5-e1f0-4a22-8694-4d086891184d_vw.pdf

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
From your experience what's the chance of it being the module. I found a module for $100 it's not too much I think I just want to save myself the hassle of doing all that omhs check since I don't really know how to do it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last time I change the brakes I didn't really connect the battery of the car to a charger which I did learn afterwards that I was supposed to do that to try to evade any future problems with the braking system

theres a great chance of it being the module.

any update?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I ordered a module. Should be getting it Tuesday. I'm just gonna save some time and hassle and replace module.... should I disconnect battery and connect to charger or power source when doing any repair or car?
Expert:  david craig replied 7 months ago.

disconnect negative terminal.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Is the module just a bolt off bolt on. Nothing I should worry about. Like connecting to computer or anything like that?

bolt off bolt on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got the module today.... would you happen to have a step by step diagram or list on how to remove everything to get to module.

ill check to see what i can come up with

Parking Brake Control Module: Service and Repair

Electromechanical Parking Brake Control Module

The electro-mechanical parking brake control module (J540) and the ESP sensor unit (G419) are installed in one housing under the center console.

After replacing the electromechanical parking brake control module with the ESP sensor unit, the ABS control module (J104) must be coded and a
basic setting of the brake system (electro-mechanical parking brake) must be performed.

CAUTION!
Excessive shaking (for example, dropping, impact) may damage the ESP sensor unit. ESP sensor unit must then no longer be used.

Removing

Remove the center console.

Remove the three nuts - arrows -.

Disconnect the connector - 1 - from electro-mechanical parking brake control module.

Remove electro-mechanical parking brake control module.

Installing

Installation is in reverse order of removal.

When installing electro-mechanical parking brake control module make sure it is correctly seated in its mounting and is free of stress.

Do not use the securing nuts to forcibly position the electro-mechanical parking brake control module.

Tighten the nuts to 9 Nm.

Code the ABS control module with the in guided fault finding.

A steering angle sensor (G85), transverse acceleration sensor (G200), brake pressure sensor 1 (G201) and longitudinal acceleration sensor (G251)
basic setting must be done.

Perform basic setting for brake system (electro-mechanical parking brake).

(VAS 5051), connecting and selecting functions. Refer to => [ VAS 5051, Connecting and Selecting Functions ] See: Brakes and Traction
Control/Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems/Testing and Inspection/Scan Tool Testing and Procedures.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got it thanks.... what is the ESP sensor unit?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I worry about doing all the coding and basic setting procedures?... or not worry about that and just connect and bolt module on

you need to follow all the instructions for coding and programming.

it will need to be done with a VCDS....

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the cheapest VCDS you would recommend for me to buy

just have it done a a shop. those are frickin expensive