vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

4 speed automatic won't shift into 4th, as far as I know

Customer Question

4 speed automatic won't shift into 4th
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: as far as I know same as the car no leekage
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bought the car used 1year ago. drove fine for 300 miles. changed oil and filter myself. as per directions kept level etc. no change took to a mac he changed some solinoid in tran ran fine for couple months.Same prob developed suddenly .Took back to mac he said need new trans. Sat at my house for few months I started looking at it again. noticed bad wires . changed plugs and wires engine much better. still trans problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Drives well shifted two days ago into 4th for about 15 min
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a vin # to distinguish if this old body style or new body style jetta.

thanks