VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My coolant light went on about two weeks ago. When I went to…

Customer Question
My coolant light went...

My coolant light went on about two weeks ago. When I went to fill it I noticed it was full of a cre***** *****ght coffee colored substance. The vehicle never overheated until today and the substance sprayed out of the overflow tank. I checked the oil and it seems to be normal. What could this be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

The substance was at the top of the overflow tank it was hard to see the amount of coolant present. I have not noticed any leak.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2002 Jetta

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet. Before it overheated and sprayed out today I was planning on taking the car to flush out the coolant but I don't know if its too late for that now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it. Thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
11/5/2016
VW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- The coffee color stuff could be oil been mixed with coolant , and if that is the case ,it means we have head gaskete problem

2- First flush the system ,change thermostat ,refill , bleed system and retest ?

3- If you let it run at idle and let it reach operating temperature ,will the fan kick in and the temp dont pass the middle mark or it will over heat ,with full of coolant and fans running and at idle ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The gasket and thermostat were replaced in November of 2015.

ok that is good .

1-Testing will be needed to see what happened, it could have blowed gasket again,but the system has to pressure tested ,flushed ,test radiator flow, fans are running when they supposed, put your hand on the top of coolant hose after thermostat opens ,can you squeeze the hose or it is hard as rock ?